Snow in loft

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I recently moved to Hungary and this is my first winter here. I was unable to inspect the roof properly when I bought the house as there was no ladder available to get to the loft. When I did get up there I noticed there were quite a few gaps where the clay tiles don't fit together accurately. This is due to the roof timbers not being straight. It seems to keep the rain out but we have been getting fine powdery snow which blows in through the gaps. Should I fill the gaps with mortar or is there a better solution to the problem? It is quite a big roof so I don't want to strip and re-tile it.

Sponsored Links
Praying to God and doing a weather dance are slightly better solutions than mortar but equally as unreliable.
there were quite a few gaps where the clay tiles don't fit together accurately. This is due to the roof timbers not being straight.
I take it that Hungarian carpentry is not quite as accurate as here in the UK?

You may have limited success with mortar but not until the weather has warmed considerably.

You would be better of lashing a tarp' to the roof then get it looked at in the better weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back