Suspect shingle installation causing leak around chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering buying the property that I am renting. There appears to be a leak around the chimney area that is causing discoloration to the ceiling in the room next to the chimney, and plaster to shed from the brickwork of the chimney in the closet in which it resides (picture attached). Brickwork feels dry to the touch after two days of heavy rain. Ceiling feels dry but home inspector reported moisture evident.

Home inspector also reported that there was missing/damaged flashing and mortar to the chimney.

I haven't been up on the roof or in the attic yet but the installation of the shingles around the chimney looks suspect to my untrained eye. Is it normal to bend the shingles up like this?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
There is no cover flashing (or soakers) over the the junction between the shingles and the chimney.

The flashing would be chased into the chimney masonry and lapped down onto the roof.
In the UK we often use lead.

Hi quite98,

1. As noseall above - you will require metal flashing (soakers and cover flashing, no mortar fillets) all the way around that chimney stack.

2. Perhaps re-point the stack at the same time.

3. The thimble in your photo is showing loose from the chimney breast, and the venting ( it looks like type-A ) is beginning to rust just where it enters the thimble.

4. Do you have a Flexible Chimney Liner in the c/flue? If so, how is it terminated?
The legality of the present terminal arrangement for gas will depend on your local code.

5. Water entering at the roof/stack and, perhaps destructive fumes in the flue are causing the difficulties you show.

6. Do you have a CO detector at the gas appliance?

7. FWIW, none of the above is major, dont let it put you off buying the house. Its typically worth having a House Inspector report.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back