Bathroom Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes i know i'm on the wrong site but i think going by past experience there will be more of a light hearted response to my querey which is; 10 yrs ago i tiled my bathroom, not bad for a bricky, this time round i'm G.S.I. ( getting someone in) now he's given me a price, which is fine then i said i'll lift the floor tiles, his response was; if they are sound leave them down and he'll tile over them, they are sound even after 10 yrs, but the powers to be has decreed we have new tiles, i laid them straight onto the floorboards, 1930s house, so do i lift them or not??

Sponsored Links
lift them , check whats under them is in good condition and is well supported.
lift them for no other reason that the step between rooms does not double in height (when a second layer of tiles is added ) :eek:

Apart from anything else - wont this cause a problem in the doorway - ie unless you've currently got a fair gap under the bathroom door, you'll have to cut the thickness of the tile + adhesive off the bottom of the door (which may or may not be possible) and you'll end up with a diffence in levels of the floor between the bathroom and (presumably) the landing??

If it were me, I think i'd be ripping them up if they'll come up fairly easily?

Rip them up and you will make lots of work for yourself-.Lumps and bumps all over the place and bits of 80 year old timber 'torn out of the floor.
If the new tiles dont stick up too much- just tile over them and fit a 'stepped threshold plate' under the door. May be a little 8-10mm bump- but- if you are living in the house- 1 week later you wont even notice it.
Decent tiler will advise you for sure.

Sponsored Links
pred its probably time you took this to the tiling section and got some advice from the guys who tile for a living such as richard c or others.
as i see it you gamble on the existing surface and take your chances or you do it properly, relay or overlay the floorboards with WBP plywood and provide the correct base/preparation for the tiles. its your call

Thankyou everyone, i was expecting a lot of sarcastic remarks which was why i posted it on here, anything to stop them going on and on about bump starting an aircraft on a conveyor belt FFS, is there nothing else to talk about. :evil:

Nothing at all wrong with tiling over tiles .
ANY tiler will tell you that . Best surface you can get to tile on.
I have done lots and lots- with no problems at all.

ive just searched about tile on tile and found out that its done on a regular basis, just goes to show you never stop learning. peter good tip about grotbuster, nice one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back