Can cement be used as tile adhesive on window sill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have five slate tiles to use on my kitchen window sill. Someone recommended that I just use cement to fix them seeing as it is not a floor and will not see heave traffic.

I wondered if anyone here can confirm whether that's a good idea or not?

Also, if it is OK to use cement, what's the minimum thickness I can get away with? The thinner the better for me....

See photos below for how the window sill is at the moment with the old tiles removed.

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
They'll be more likely to stay put if you use a cement-based floor tile adhesive.

Cheers
Richard

Hi

Many thanks for the suggestion....

Will that do I everything I need, as in level the surface AND stick the tiles down? Or would I need to use something else as well?

Also, is there any chance you could link me to the kind of thing you mean to make sure I get it right?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Great - Thanks for that.

Excuse me for being a cheapskate, but does anyone know of a similar product available in smaller bags? Our window sill is 170cm x 20cm and I'm guessing I would not need much for that. I've no other use for the adhesive, so buying such a big bag would be a waste.

Cheers

Sticking me nose in, but I've had success with the Wickes rapid set ready mixed cement compound.......it mixes really smooth, indicating an added plasticiser. I got rid of any loose stuff, gave it a coat of PVA and set to.
It worked well, and was available in 2kg bags, I think.
John :)

That's the sort of stuff Max and if you check out 220997 that's the very product I used.
My job was tiles onto thermalite......I dampened the blocks well, brushed on a PVA layer (a squeeze of wood glue and a wet paintbrush to be exact) and got cracking.....the tiles haven't shifted.
I guess the secret is not to allow the surface you are tiling on to become absorbent to the extent that it absorbs too much moisture from the cement mix.
All I can say is that it worked fine for me!

For a million and one reasons, we had to get on with a load of other things around the house (and in our lives!) so this job never got done.

Thanks for all the replies (last year :oops: ).

Can anyone recommend a cheap primer to use? I only need a really small quantity - enough for 5 tiles. And money really is too tight to mention (as the old song goes).

As for adhesive, I'm planning on using Burnerman's suggestion:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Quick-Set-Mortar-2kg/p/220997

Do I definitely need a primer if using this? The window sill had tiles on it before that we removed, just in case that makes any difference.

Cheers

That primer will work well, Max.....there's a fair chance you won't need it, but better do it anyway.....you don't want to do the job twice!

Thanks Burnerman, both for your reply here and for all your previous replies! Hopefully I'll finally get the job done now and move onto something else...

Cheers mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back