DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

How is tiling charged per metre please

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew17

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote

hi Ive had a quote for some ceramic tiles to be put on my bathroom walls. the guy is charging 39 a sq metre and recons its 25sq m to do.

Ive worked it out myself roughly and think its 20 or maybe 21 sq m.
After the work was done he used up about 25 sq m of tiles ( 25 packs) but there was only 20 sq m on the walls ( bits of waste tiles after cutting maybe used the other 4 m or so ! )

Should he charge me for the 21 m or the 25 m that appears to have been used to do the bathroom walls ? Thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
ei8htbuildingservices

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote

sometimes there can be a lot of waste, generally a minimum of 10% can be a lot more with bigger tiles. He will have had to cut a lot of tiles thats where the time can be taken up. This is why I price for the job and not by sqm so as not to have any confusion. By the sounds of it you agreed to it before it was tiled so pay up and take it as a lesson learned icon_neutral.gif
 Alert Moderators
prceramics

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote

did he include grout and addy in the m2 price ?
 Alert Moderators
Jasonb

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote

A m2 price should be based on what the actual wall area is not the amount of tiles bought.

By quoting just a m2 price he should have taken all labours (cutting, corners, narrow widths) into account, though on a proper job all these items would be measured and priced separately.

Jason (who used to be a surveyor)
 Alert Moderators
andrew17

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Jason . The job has been done and i really should have queried it earlier .I dont think he was trying to catch me out but i had a quote for bathroom half tiled and full , but a big part of one wall is in the eaves above half tile height so this made up about 3 m of the overestimate. Then there was a further 2 in my opinion just as an error . So 25m should have been 20m
The quote did inc adhesive and grout and trim etc

I suppose as he gave me a breakdown it was easier for me to spot and i did say to him I reconed it needed 20m but he sort of ignored me as probably didnt want to admit he worked it out wrong. But then the cheeky devil didnt decrease the final bill . he fitted the bathroom out aswell -- so was a bathroom fitter rather than a tiler. No prob with the job , it was good, but 5m at 39 quid a pop is a fair bit to me and i would have rather had it in my pocket than his.
 Alert Moderators
prceramics

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote

andrew17 wrote:
Thanks Jason . The job has been done and i really should have queried it earlier .I dont think he was trying to catch me out but i had a quote for bathroom half tiled and full , but a big part of one wall is in the eaves above half tile height so this made up about 3 m of the overestimate. Then there was a further 2 in my opinion just as an error . So 25m should have been 20m
The quote did inc adhesive and grout and trim etc

I suppose as he gave me a breakdown it was easier for me to spot and i did say to him I reconed it needed 20m but he sort of ignored me as probably didnt want to admit he worked it out wrong. But then the cheeky devil didnt decrease the final bill . he fitted the bathroom out aswell -- so was a bathroom fitter rather than a tiler. No prob with the job , it was good, but 5m at 39 quid a pop is a fair bit to me and i would have rather had it in my pocket than his.

if your happy with the job mate whats the problem even though 39 per m2 is a little steep for a bathroom fitter i charge 25 and do it for a living and did he tank your wet ereas i pusume you have a shower ?
 Alert Moderators
andrew17

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote

hi there tank wet area ? not familiar with that jargon .

All he did was fit 2 toilets one bath and two sinks in a main bathroom and a cloakroom
He fully tiled the bathroom and tiled behind the toilet and sink in the cloak. he does wet rooms but thats what he did for me.

I thought 39 was ALOT but being a naive punter i chose some stuff in wickes and they wanted 2k to fit the white goods only ! and then tiling was 44 to tile plus another charge like 18 to remove the old tiles and make good . So he seemed sort of cheap . The tiles were expensive but not against the shed , and he basically charged about a grand to fit the white goods , maybe more but less than 2k. I should have got more quotes i suppose but was nearly going to get the shed to do it. I asked in b+q and I think their min charge to install a bathroom is 3k .
Im getting a wickes kitchen done and thats 3k to fit . im letting them do that as in my opinion there is alot more work involved than 50% more than the bathroom bits ( toilet bath sinks )
 Alert Moderators
ei8htbuildingservices

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote

Have you paid upfront for the kitchen fitting? icon_sad.gif
 Alert Moderators
andrew17

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote

ei8htbuildingservices wrote:
Have you paid upfront for the kitchen fitting? icon_sad.gif

not exactly --its all through wickes and ive got a loan on the kitchen which hasnt drawn down yet. interest free for 6 months provided you pay it off in that time .
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Tiling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: