Uneven Brick/Plaster Shower Walls - to be tiled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is so much conflicting info regarding tiling for showers on here and the net in general (much from US) - any usable advice please?

I am putting in a shower enclosure and planning to tile floor to ceiling but walls bevel in and out and the actual corner is more of a worm than a straight line.

Thought I had cracked it by planning to remove about 12.5 mm plaster or enough to be able to replace with 12.5mm sheets of Aquaboard (cement board) but now understand it cant be put straight onto a brick wall!

Any standard alternatives? I have read about, skimming (plaster or sand/cement/waterproof additive), chipping and skimming, dot and dab moisture board then tank ..... whats the easiest most acceptable way!

The shower enclosure allows about 5mm for uneven walls but mine are way past that!

Any hints welcome - many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Who said aqua board can't be fitted to brick walls?
I would use hardies you can stick them to walls and cannot say there is difference between the two?

I have seen it said in numerous places about needing to be battened rather than direct to masonary - although not seen same said about hardibacker.
I mentioned Aquaboard as its whats available through Wickes and seems to get a good press everywhere.
I think Hardibacker is available in BandQ and from memory is alot cheaper.

So you reckon Hardie then a tanking system or is it sufficent to joint properly and tile?

Sponsored Links
Wickes Aquapanel is brilliant for your needs....the reason its not meant to be put straight onto brick is because it can and does absorb moisture......but unlike plasterboard it doesn't deteriorate.
If it was my job I'd use it, but obviously I'd be paying great attention to corner sealing and grouting etc.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back