Which adhesive make (and type)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought some tiles from my bathroom supplier, but he told me not to buy his adhesive as it wasn't that great (Palace).

He recommended Mapei, but can't seem to locate that easily at my nearest tile shops.

Lot's of places have a brand called Ultra, one has Weber - of courseTopps has BAL (at a Topps ££price!).

So would really appreciate comments on what would you recommend from a brand perspective?

Btw I've got Floor 60x60 porcelain to tile onto ply (and going to have underfloor heating). Walls 30x60 porcelain to partly onto plaster over brick, and partly plaster over plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Bal is as good as your going to get. http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products.
There website will direct you to nearest stockist and also offer helpful advice.
The type of adhesive required will depend on location (room) What type of environment it open to (water for example) Format of tile (size) Surface being covered (wall/floor).
If the nearest stockist is Tops Tiles, don't be scared of asking for a discount.

palace isnt so bad, its been around a looong time!

ultra and weber will both do the job too. mapei is good stuff as long as its not the diy shed one. what are you fixing?

Doing the bathroom,

Floor: 60x60 matt porcelain onto 22mm ply (and going to have underfloor heating).

Walls 30x60 polished porcelain, partly tiled onto plaster over brick, and partly tiled plaster over plasterboard. Part of the wall will be inside a shower.

Prices seem to be £40ish for a bag of BAL, £28 for Ultra, £12 for Weber!

Really just want what's right (spent alot on tile, don't want to scrimp on adhesive!) got a 10% off Topps so that will help a bit.

What would specific BAL products would you recommend for this?

Sponsored Links
Floor Tiling and large format for walls. I would use "Rapidset" for both applications.
Will also be suitable for wet areas and if using for UFH you will need to use an admixture of "BAL ADMIX AD1"
(pre-diluted 1:1 with water).

What weight are your tiles? Plaster in good condition has a maximum weight limit of 20 kg/sqm including adhesive & grout so if they weigh tin at more than around 8 kg/sqm your going to be overweight! For raw plaster board weight limit is 32 kg/sqm; 40 for render & some tile backer boards.

You must tank any plasterboard wet areas if you want it to last but it won’t increase the weight limit of the underlying plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back