drill choice 12v fuel vs 18v de walt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have a Milwaukee 12v fuel impact driver which i love to bits, best since sliced bread... With 3 X batts.
i am looking for a good combi drill and my instincts say 18v, i.e. http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776c2-gb-18v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-xr/17648
however, as i could get a body only
Milwaukee M12 Fuel Brushless 1/2" Hammer Drill 2404-22 CDD-402C Review: http://youtu.be/ldlqOy8sQFc
to fit my battery would it be a good option? looking at reviews it stacks up well against the budget dewalt.
Thanks guys 😉

Sponsored Links
A year or so back I worked with a guy who'd replaced his 18 volt Makita impact and SDS with Milwaukee Fuel 12 volt brushless stuff. He was able to keep up with me battening out into blockwork (I have Makita 18 volt stuff) because whilst I could drill faster, I was also making a lot more battery changes (3Ah + conventional brushed motors on the Mak, 4Ah + brushless on the Mil). Since I went to 5Ah I think I'd have the edge - but probably only just. I was suitably impressed and I feel the Fuel is well worth considering

we need to remember the new battery boost
as in a say 2 year old battery will be perhaps 15-20% down on power and capacity so smaller voltages will punch above there weight in comparison with new batteries as the 18v will be nearer 15v performance wise
also they are actually 10.8v rather than 12v as they have 3x3.6v cells where as the 18v are 5x3.6v cells
so rather than 50% more power suggested by 12-18v you are actually getting 66.666 more power because its 10.8 to 18v

we need to remember the new battery boost
I was using batteries no more than 3 months old, B-A. I did get to make a few holes with the Milwaukee kit - it's dinky, even petite, and light as a feather in comparison to my BHP202

Sponsored Links
rocket propelled then :D

the comments are more general comments
when we use battery tools day in and day out we dont notice the gradual reduction in power and performance over the years
with my dewalt plunge it cuts well and my comments in my reviews are it chugs along on worktops but when you think the batteries i use where probably at least 1-2 years older and up to 10 years old for some so down on performance
but i suspect with the generic batteries i have just bought the extra power will make it wizz along lol

Thanks, it would be mainly woodwork but will need grunt enough to fix into brickwork. The video posted above shows staggering strength for 12v, although it seems a milwaukee marketing vid not independant!
Speed not so much a problem. And have 2x2a 1x4a batteries. Even the 2amp lasts ages after a year. its power wise i am wondering about, the 12v milwaukee technology vs cheap de walt/ makita 18v seems to narrow the gap significantly.

its power wise i am wondering about, the 12v milwaukee technology vs cheap de walt/ makita 18v seems to narrow the gap significantly.
The 12 volt brushless SDS isn't as powerful as a Makita BHP202, but I'd say it's noticeably more powerful than any combi drill I've used (including the Makita DHP458). I didn't try it into hard concrete, but into 7N and 10N blocks it had no problems. Sufficient to say that I've considered making the switch myself - if only for those jobs where I can't carry a full kit

I'm a Makita fan for the 18v kit, but tried out the Milwaukee 12v kit a year or two back. Got pretty much a full set now. Brilliant kit for the average daily jobs. Only get out the Makita for the real heavy grunt work.

Best of all. I have the milwaukee heated jacket so jobs a good 'un at this time of year.

Thanks guys, i will check prices out for the 12v combi i think. And maybe sds as well😊

Thanks guys, i will check prices out for the 12v combi i think. And maybe sds as well😊
The Milwaukee 12v SDS is a cracking tool.
Lightweight but does the job perfectly for fixings. Upto 16mm through not been a problem. Anything bigger then obviously the big boys tools are needed.

could you use the SDS for general woodwork tho, anything from pilot holes to arbors? as I couldn't stretch to two drills and mainly be using it for that. but would need enough grunt for some brickwork ((old walls).
If not I would go with the combi. The vid I posted earlier shows awesome power for 12V.. Looks rigged

And heated jacket!!!!! So jealous!!! :eek:
I would love one, I am kinda falling for the Milwaukee brand at the moment? :rolleyes:

Went for 12v fuel hammer bare in the end. Great bit of kit. Compact and bijou.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back