Generator power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

How can I find out if the generator I am thinking of buying will power a certain item.

I am looking at an 850w portable generator and I need it to power a 550w cement mixer.

Will this be enough.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The majority of these portable ones are around £100.

The more expensive ones have more watts, but I don't really need it for anything major.

It'll be on for about 5 hours per day for a week at a time.

I would recommend the generator to have an output at least three times the amount of the intended load.
There will be load fluctuations on the mixer, so the generator should be sized to cope, running a 550watt machine off a 850watt generator leaves practically no reserve.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Thanks guy's.

What I was looking for was a general rule, which you have told me.

I have found one that has a max output of 1500w and a constant output of 1200w.

I'm assuming from what you have said that I should be looking for one that has a constant output of no less than 1650w, but these go beyond my budget.

I won't be using this constantly week in week out, but I don't want something that's going to burn out after a few times of use.

Cheers.

The 1500w one should be fine - but in doubt its worth hiring one for a day.
A genny that is too small will tend to stall or slow right down once a heavy load is applied.
John :)

I managed to find a 2200w generator that was in my budget.

The guy said that this would be fine for what I need.

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back