Gorilla or Gator Glue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have used Gorilla glue over the years for mainly timber projects but also many other things, it seemed very versatile but I have noticed that when I search for it online to buy more, up comes Gator glue as well, so I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the differences or preferences with these 2 and why?

The Gator stuff seems cheaper and yes I do see they do different types, I was more interested in the Gorilla type one that is brown and dries a sort of light brown when it expands.

I tried googling the subject for comparisons or something like that and not much came up at all other than sites to buy either one.

So are they the same, if not whats different?

Any info appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I was more interested in the Gorilla type one that is brown and dries a sort of light brown when it expands.
Outside of formulated industrial products polyurethane glues are all much of a muchness IMHO. You generally get offered something like a 5 or 10 minute fast set type and another type with a longer open time of 30 to 60 minutes. Apart from some specifically coloured glues almost all liquid PU glues dry to a cream/lt brown shade - although if your joints are good you shouldn't see that unless you've applied far too much glue. I stopped using Gorilla 15 years ago when I found out that there are similar products at a much lower price, for example I'm currently paying £6.50/750 gm from a local supplier - on the net you can get it even cheaper

Just a little reminder to anyone who stores their glues in the van or the shed - now's the time to bring it indoors for the winter before the frosts kill it

yep same as job and knock i get mines from tool station and pad the order out to £10 for free postage
thanks for the link j&n :D

Iv'e had a few different makes of PU including gorilla glue with different drying times in cartridges and bottles mainly all looking a bit like clear honey until it starts to go off, all working well including laminating teak which can be difficult ,I only had one bad lot in cartridges it didn't look the same as all the others I have used it was light brown in colour all the glue joints failed, that was an evo stick product to be fair it was a very cold environment and green timber although high water content has not been a problem on other projects such as back bone structure on old trawler,as it is moisture cure

Sponsored Links
,I only had one bad lot in cartridges it didn't look the same as all the others I have used it was light brown in colour all the glue joints failed, that was an evo stick product to be fair it was a very cold environment and green timber although high water content has not been a problem on other projects such as back bone structure on old trawler,as it is moisture cure
HWW, I doubt that the problem was moisture - PU glue is moisture reactive so that the more water there is in the atmospere/timber around it the faster it seems to go off. Where it has problems, though, is at low temperatures. Just like expanding gap-filling/sealing PU foams it will only work satsfactorily down to about 4 or 5 °C and ideally shouldn't be used below about 10 °C because the time it takes to go off just gets longer and longer. Just like water-based glues it shouldn't be allowed to freeze in storage or use as that seems to damage the molecular structure.

,I only had one bad lot in cartridges it didn't look the same as all the others I have used it was light brown in colour all the glue joints failed, that was an evo stick product to be fair it was a very cold environment and green timber although high water content has not been a problem on other projects such as back bone structure on old trawler,as it is moisture cure
HWW, I doubt that the problem was moisture - PU glue is moisture reactive so that the more water there is in the atmospere/timber around it the faster it seems to go off. Where it has problems, though, is at low temperatures. Just like expanding gap-filling/sealing PU foams it will only work satsfactorily down to about 4 or 5 °C and ideally shouldn't be used below about 10 °C because the time it takes to go off just gets longer and longer. Just like water-based glues it shouldn't be allowed to freeze in storage or use as that seems to damage the molecular structure.

I think your right I might try a bit in the freezer Ive had the opposite effect in a totaly dry environment on a hot day trying to glue wooden plugs into a boat deck the PU glue gasses up but won't go off and forces the plugs out again ,Its a bit of a fairground game until they finaly stick in hind-site a water filled plant spay could have helped

Ive had the opposite effect in a totaly dry environment on a hot day trying to glue wooden plugs into a boat deck the PU glue gasses up but won't go off and forces the plugs out again ,Its a bit of a fairground game until they finaly stick in hind-site a water filled plant spay could have helped
Yes, it would have. On the other hand I once made the mistake of trying to use the stuff on a job in a council leisure centre where there was a big swimming pool at the bottom of the building. It was going off before I could get the parts together :rolleyes:

memo to self,
DO not attempt to glue together a bloody big gate that i had just made,approx size about 2m high x 1.4m wide with the red 5MIN stuff,by god was i sweating trying to get the joints pulled up :oops:
i now use the 30min stuff.

memo to self,
DO not attempt to glue together a bloody big gate that i had just made,approx size about 2m high x 1.4m wide with the red 5MIN stuff.
Bet you turned into one of the "black hand gang" as well!

yeah DONT GET IT ON YOUR HANDS,wears off rather then washes off.

very good gear though,great for outdoor work.

My problem was that I only use the stuff once in a while,and have had tubs going solid after a while, very annoying and expensive.i read on a forum that keeping it in a freezer and then microwave for one minute before using means it will keep indefinitely. I have used it this way for a couple of years and it works perfectly. So leave it in the shed in winter but bring it in the summer

My problem was that I only use the stuff once in a while,and have had tubs going solid after a while, very annoying and expensive.i read on a forum that keeping it in a freezer and then microwave for one minute before using means it will keep indefinitely. I have used it this way for a couple of years and it works perfectly. So leave it in the shed in winter but bring it in the summer

That would scare me more than the price of a new tube ,Imagine a tube of PU blowing up in the microwave like the sausage I tried to cook in the early days,and the thought of the wiser other half stood benind you after youv'e just managed to convince her that a bloke called grovsey of the internet told me it was a really good idea

i read on a forum that keeping it in a freezer and then microwave for one minute before using means it will keep indefinitely.
the problem with the containers is that they ae not 100% air tight - the atmosphere always gets in, in fact if the container is half full then it's half full of air....... And air contains moisture which causes the stuff to go off. The manufacturers reckon that it has a shelf life of 6 months, so take that as a year. All wood glues seem to go off after a while and I just don't think it's worth the risk.

......and then microwave for one minute before using means it will keep indefinitely.

That would scare me more than the price of a new tube ,Imagine a tube of PU blowing up in the microwave like the sausage I tried to cook in the early days,and the thought of the wiser other half stood benind you after youv'e just managed to convince her that a bloke called grovsey of the internet told me it was a really good idea
:rolleyes: :D :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back