Router choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
looking for recommendations for a router.I will be using it for diy projects and not sure what specs i need to be looking at.Should it be a plunge type or not and possible brand recomms.Budget up to £70 is this enough?
cheers.

Sponsored Links
what project are you going to tackle??
in general a 1/4" if you want hand held flexible 1/2" if you want heavy duty table mounted

your budget has limited you to hand held so no large cutters or doing kitchen worktops
as long as you realise the machine is only between 25-50% off what you need to get full use out off the machine
cutters and attachments ramp up the game
i have several routers but within your range i would look at ryobi

looking around iv'e seen a bosch but the bit size it takes only go up to 8mm ,should i go for 1/2 "?

looking around iv'e seen a bosch but the bit size it takes only go up to 8mm ,should i go for 1/2 "?

you really need 2 or 3 to have a safe flexable choice
i have this one it is a compromise
http://www.toolsave.co.uk/product.php?prod_code=ERT-1150V

only take this as a light weight half inch it can do half inch but will take more passes because off the power

i have about 6 routers so only use it when its a bit heavy for a 1/4 inch or want to use a 1/2 inch cutter for light work

Sponsored Links
yep that was my other suggestion as it happens
the only thing that swayed me was the 1/2" abillity off the ryobi :D

that Bosch will be ok for light work i have one like it but for heavy work i bought a very old ELU

PRODUCT: Ryobi ERT-1150V 1/4 Inch Router :!:

yes it never mentions its a 1/2 " in the official bumf but it is i suppose its to stop people expecting it to do to much as a full blown big boy read the bumf further down on the link

"This Ryobi 1/4 Inch Router has variable speed control, soft start for smoother starting, micro depth adjustment, 3 depth pre sets, spindle lock and the collet accepts 1/4 and 1/2 inch cutters. "

I'd go for the Bosch can't beat the quality for the price. Practice on some scrap wood with a cheap straight cutter then invest in some good quality cutters like the trend brand.

I started routing with a Bosch pof500a router that came with a single 6mm straight cutter in the box, still have that router today.

yea i would go for the bosch one if ur only going to be using it for diy use,but if ur looking for a heavy duty router and r willing to go more money look out for a HITACHI M12VE VARIABLE SPEED ROUTER it comes with both 1/2"(12.7mm) and 1/4"(6mm) collets (trend router cutter bits are realy good quality) hope this is of some help

yea i would go for the bosch one if ur only going to be using it for diy use,but if ur looking for a heavy duty router and r willing to go more money look out for a HITACHI M12VE VARIABLE SPEED ROUTER it comes with both 1/2"(12.7mm) and 1/4"(6mm) collets (trend router cutter bits are realy good quality) hope this is of some help

funny enough this is my heavy router that's under my table :D
actually gets little use but a fantastic well built router
i mostly do farm style furniture so heavy routing is on the odd occasion :LOL:

Thanks fellas for all your info/advice,since i'm only going to be doing diy with it i have gone for the Bosch.

tyvm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back