Which of these drills is best for masonary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, as mentioned previously I am looking to buy a drill that will work well in masonary, Screwfix have some really good ones but not sure which one would be best- I was thinking of this one
DeWalt DC100KA-GB 18V 1.3Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill

the price is really good but I am not sure whether I need something with more power ie these ones-
DeWalt XRP DC988L1 18V 2.0Ah Li-ion Cordless Combi Drill
Makita BHP451RF 18V 3.0Ah Li-Ion Cordless Combi Drill

I am not going to be drilling into concrete, just bricks so if you guys think the first one would be suitable for that then please let me know. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Out of these drills, definitely Li-ion, and the greater the Ah rating the longer it will last....therefore the Makita has it!
John :)

A hard brick can be as tough as concrete. Does it need to be cordless, fair enough if it does, but given you can get a cracking used corded SDS drill for £40 (or a new cheap one for about the same) that would be (and is my) prefered choice. Freeing up the cordless to be a lighter non-hammer drill.

Daniel

I have considered the SDS option but to be honest I will only occasionally be drilling into masonary so I would still need to buy another cordless drill for everything else, I was hoping to just have one for doing all. On top of which from what I have learnt from the forum and SDS is best used with larger drill bits and I dont really need to be making large holes for the type of drilling I will be doing. Thats why I am leaning towards a combi that and the convenience of a cordless. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah well its totally upto you.

My thoughts is for £100 you can get a nice cordless
And for £50-100 you can get a nice corded SDS

So you have two tools for the same money which is my prefered route, rather than have a jack-of-all master-of-none type tool.
- A lighter and proberbly nearly as powerfull cordless for most jobs
- And a better and more powerfull hammer drill for masonary jobs

I then also currently use the SDS with a chuck adapter for when I need a bit corded drill (including putting in 5*12 woodscrews) as I dont currently have a plain large corded drill.

That said, for odd jobs putting up shelving on to exterior walls etc it would be nice have the convenence of a cordless hammer drill, if not a cordless SDS.

Either way, Makita make nice tools, and do Bosch Profesional (the turquise models, rather than the green) and Dewalt are ok too! Mate of mine raves about his Hitachi angle grinders.

Mmmm, i could spent a lot of moneys!!

Daniel

Agreed a Bosch Pro Mains SDS and a decent cordless is the way to go.

The makita BHP451 is beastie, a cracking drill, but even it will come second best to SDS on hard brick and concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back