Working a one-off night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have to work a one-off night next thursday night after having worked monday to thursday during the day. Obviously the thursday will be a very long day.
My question is how would you want to be paid for it. The nights work may be 5-7 hours. Starting at 11pm.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
At the very least, everything you could otherwise have earned on the Friday, plus an uplift for the anti-social hours - say 33%.

If the traffic will bear it I'd go higher, because in theory you wouldn't be able to work during the day on Thursday either. Would your public liability insurance cover you if you had or caused an accident while working a night shift after having also put in a full day?

Sponsored Links
When I worked shifts, Day shift was normal time, Afternoon shift was time and a third and Night shift got us time and a half. If we worked overtime (from night shift) into Saturday morning/afternoon we got double time , otherwise weekend work was time and a half on Saturday up till 10.00pm then double time until 6:00am Monday morning.
Bank holidays attracted double time + a day off in lieu. ;) ;)

Hi All,

I have to work a one-off night next thursday night after having worked monday to thursday during the day. Obviously the thursday will be a very long day.
My question is how would you want to be paid for it. The nights work may be 5-7 hours. Starting at 11pm.
Thanks

Do you work for an employer or for yourself,if its an employer then you are entitled to have at least 11 hours off between times.

When I worked shifts, Day shift was normal time, Afternoon shift was time and a third and Night shift got us time and a half. If we worked overtime (from night shift) into Saturday morning/afternoon we got double time , otherwise weekend work was time and a half on Saturday up till 10.00pm then double time until 6:00am Monday morning.
Bank holidays attracted double time + a day off in lieu. ;) ;)

That's similar to me, but I only do whole weeks of a particular shift - for someone self-employed a one off night affects the days both sides and can easily cost them two full days money. In that case, I wouldn't have said that double time uplifted by 33% for the unsocial hours would be excessive.

It's going to be important to explain to the customer how much other work would have to be turned down to free up just that one night - hence the relatively high price. Maybe the customer would then decide they can cope with it being done during the day after all!

Sponsored Links
Back