Air brick required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just had a corgi fellow around to cut off supply to an old 70's style gas fire. All good (incidently ... £30 to cap off incase anyone searchs for prices - this is in Milton Keynes).

Anyway - I digress. The plan is to remove the gas fire off the wall - but do I need to use an airbrick when I make good the hole? Is it required if a gas fire was there before?

Sponsored Links
If you don't have a gas fire, you don't need an air brick for that reason. Although you should have at least one air brick for general ventiation to avoid dry rot, damp ect.

not required

if you have another gas fire, you have to provide fresh air to it, if not, you do not need to fit an airbrick uness the room is short of ventilation. Trickle vents are less draughty.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean brick up the firebreast/chimmney as I would advise ensuring adequate airflow in the chimmney to prevent damp etc.
The fixed airbrick on the exterior wall is not legally necessary once the gas fire has been removed.

Pete

very good point about ventilating the chimney

I missed that :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back