Soil Stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right First Post on this forum.

I had a cracked internal soil stack right on the rest bend recently and got a local plumbing firm to replace the whole stack externally instead of internally.

I have attached a few pictures of it.

1. What do you think of the job? Is this the standard way to do it?

2. I need to concrete in the hole shall I do it in stages so it don't put to much pressure on the pipework?

3. The clay old rest bend bit is still stuck in the bricks will this be OK to concrete in?

4. Is there any considerations for me to make before I concrete in? Damp??

Many Thanks View media item 5972 View media item 5973 View media item 5974 View media item 5975 View media item 5976

Sponsored Links
Looks pretty good from the photos.

1 The pipe should be blinded with small agregate to above it before concrete is added.
2 The old pipe should be removed totaly and filled , but make sure you doo not bridge the cavity as this will allow water into or under the building.
maybe foam on the inside but check it`s water proof or a repelant.
3Orange underground bend (good)
4Clips good
5Check for leaks on the 1st rubber coupling (between the orange bend and the black) from the photo it looks like a double collar bend, as one of the collars is in the rubber fitting and not a plain end which would give a better seal.

Looks pretty good from the photos.

1 The pipe should be blinded with small agregate to above it before concrete is added.
2 The old pipe should be removed totaly and filled , but make sure you doo not bridge the cavity as this will allow water into or under the building.
maybe foam on the inside but check it`s water proof or a repelant.
3Orange underground bend (good)
4Clips good
5Check for leaks on the 1st rubber coupling (between the orange bend and the black) from the photo it looks like a double collar bend, as one of the collars is in the rubber fitting and not a plain end which would give a better seal.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean remove the bit of clay pipe that is in the wall? then what shall I fill it with? Quick set motar?

Sorry I also don't understand "Do Not Bridge the Cavity".

When filling with soft aggregate what is the stuff called that I should get? also the hole is around 400 - 500mm deep how high shall I fill it with the aggreate before I concrete it to level?

Many Thanks for the good advice.

Sponsored Links
Aggregate

Builders sharp sand gravel that sort of thing,fill it to above the top of the drain then concrete over.
The reason is purley for expansion.if you concrete it in this will not allow any expansion.

Bridging the cavity,
The cavity is the free space between inner and outer wall if it`s filled (bridged) water can pass from outer to the inner Capillary attraction

Aggregate

Builders sharp sand gravel that sort of thing,fill it to above the top of the drain then concrete over.
The reason is purley for expansion.if you concrete it in this will not allow any expansion.

Bridging the cavity,
The cavity is the free space between inner and outer wall if it`s filled (bridged) water can pass from outer to the inner Capillary attraction

Thanks I see what you mean.

I will try to dig out the piece of clay pipe that is in the wall, I will fit a chopped to rough size brick in the hole on the outside and cement this in. On the internal side I will just using some quick setting motar in the hole under the floor boards so that both walls remain independent.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back