Severe draught through cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My semi det. house built circa 1945 has terrible draught running around the cavity walls. My sons room is very cold and the other day I noticed that cold air was coming out from the skirting board. This was coinciding with the gusts of wind i could hear outside. Downstairs in the living room, a slight hole under the window board was also letting a howling gail through. I intend to block up both of these holes, but i am worried that there is such a draught inside the cavity wall in the first place.

I do know that previous owner has had cavity wall insulation fitted. I have seen evidence of this, when the windows were replaced (didnt see every window being replaced). I remember in my sons room, there was quite a deficite under his window, so i stuffed some loft insulation in.

All 3 bedrooms and corrosponding rooms downstairs have had fire places when house was built. most of these are gone now. But i think i might have worked out where the draught is getting in to the cavity wall.
On the external wall of my sons room near the eves, there is a 12" square air brick with large holes. This is facing the direction of the wind and must be letting in the draught. I do remember seeing the corrosponding louvred vent in my sonse room has been filled (when i wallpapered).

I have two more of these air bricks on the bathroom and toilette, but the room is not as cold / draughty.

I was considering blocking it up somehow, but noticed that all the other houses in the street still have the air brick in place.

Any ideas regarding what I can do about the draught inside the cav wal and if it would be a good idea to block the air brick up. More importantly, how? (I was thinking expanding foam / sand flat / paint red).

Please help our house is so cold!

(to prevent the usual pointless posts, have new boiler, working CH, double loft insulation).

Sponsored Links
Air bricks typically don't vent the cavity - they vent the room as you have noted.

The draughts from the floor are from the gaps around the joists built into the wall. There are many other routes for are to infiltrate the cavity and its difficult to remove these retrospectively - nowadays it would be done as the property is built.

Cavity insulation may help reduce the air movement but not remove it entirely

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back