Slabs for driveway edgings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use 12" (approx. 35mm thick)square slabs to edge my drive rather than the usual block pavers, before it is tarmaced. The drive is currently between 8-10" of compacted mill-waste. If I bed the slabs on a mortar base, will they withstand the weight of a car passing over them?

If so, what thickness of mortar would be best & should I use building sand or sharp sand for the mortar?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes, you could use slabs to edge the drive but why?

915mm x 150mm x 50mm concrete edgings will be just as good so long as they are bedded on an adequate kerb race, being formed from a good 6" of semi-dry haunched concrete.

the back or exposed side to the kerb will need a good size haunch at least 3/4 of the way up, incorporated as one with the bedding.

Thanks, but what I meant was slabs laid flat (as opposed to on edge, as per usual edgings). A house round the corner has has this done & it looks quite nice IMO so I was thinking of doing something similar but I didn't want the slabs to crack in time with cars passing over them, hence the query regarding mortar type/thickness.

aaah, i see.

solid bed the slabs on at least 75mm thick, sharp sand mortar (4:1) and you will have no probs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back