Mending holes in lead gutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an almost horizontaL lead gutter about 70 mm wide between a gently sloping zinc roof and a vertical brick wall. There is a hole in the lead, about 15 mm by 5mm, probably caused when I was cutting away the wood underneath the flat roof, which is rotting. (The water causing the rot is coming in elsewhere.) How can I mend the hole permanently?

Sponsored Links
NOt that I know owt about lead gutters, but I wonder if its possible to get some lead flashing cut to size & solder it in?
After a thorough cleaning & probably using a blowtorch of course.

Hi. If the hole in the sheet lead has NOT been caused by thermal metal fatigue, find some one who is competent at lead welding and simply weld a patch over the problem. Good Luck [/u]

Thanks. Sounds like I ought to get someone fairly skillful, as the hole is less than 10 mm from the wood at one side. I don't think I trust myself to do it.

Sponsored Links
Is lead solder just like the solder for electrical things?

If so, it should be easy to DIY a patch

Careful with any flames up on the roof though

Hi. With regard to solder, plumber metal (solder) as used to wipe joints etc, can be used, but the melting point of lead and solder are not far apart. This can result in one big hole in the gutter if not similar with the task. Solder that is used to sweat capillary joints would be even more difficult as the plastic range is far less than plumbers metal. (temp range that solder, when molten allows to be plastic or putty like) I would be inclined to have a draw of the house insurance for the damaged caused, repair that yourself and spend the money on employing someone with lead welding experience. Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back