Damp / Condensation in garage with photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I've got a damp 1930's garage. The walls are sealed with some aquaseal and must be ok as the garage was fine in the summer (warm wet weather) but is now damp.

I suspect the roof is the cause of the problem, it is made from bitumen corrugated sheets. I think that perhaps the relatively warm air inside the garage condenses on the cold roof at night.

I was thinking of adding some insulation, either stapling some of this foil type stuff to the rafters
http://www.wickes.co.uk/FOIL-INSULATION/Thermal-Insulation-Foil-Roll/invt/210022

Has anyone got some advice on which would be best and if this is the right way to go? I was thinking of adding an extractor fan with a humidistat also.

Many thanks

img1937vb9.jpg

img1938fw9.jpg

img1939vm2.jpg
[/img][/list]

Sponsored Links
might be water vapour rising up through garage floor

older garages and sheds did not have DPM under floors, it only became practical with the intro of polytrhene sheet in the 1970s.

the floor will be warmer than the shell of the garage, at night and on cold days. so misture will rise up throgh the floor and condense of roof and your nice shiny metal tools, making them rusty.

insulating the roof will stop condensation up there, and high-level crossflow ventilation wil help the most air to escape.

might be water vapour rising up through garage floor

older garages and sheds did not have DPM under floors, it only became practical with the intro of polytrhene sheet in the 1970s.

the floor will be warmer than the shell of the garage, at night and on cold days. so misture will rise up throgh the floor and condense of roof and your nice shiny metal tools, making them rusty.

insulating the roof will stop condensation up there, and high-level crossflow ventilation wil help the most air to escape.

Not convinced if this is the problem, the floor is bone dry apart from where the consation has dripped.

I took out all of the expanding foam that had been used to 'seal' between the corrugations and the wall.

This doesn't seem to have helped :cry:

Sponsored Links
Have you tried putting a damp meter to the floor to see if it might be the case?

Also I certainly wouldn't employ any insulation of any sort until you find the cause of the damp. If as you say the problem got worse when you removed the foam from the roof where it meets the wall I think you'll need to put some foam back in, find another solution or switch to a different type roof.

Do you notice it is any more damp after a good rain?

PS I am not a builder, a DIY'r like most :)

if you tape a piece of clear plastic to the floor, you will be able to see if damp is coming up from it because the underside will get wet.

All that earth piled up against the back wall could be causing moisture to bridge the dpc, which might be a way for damp to get in, which then manifests as condensation.

Are you using the garage for a car ? If so this is probably where you are bringing in all the moisture

Hello again.

The garage is too small for a car, so there's no moisture there.

I'll have a go taping some clear plastic to the floor to see if thats where the problem comes from.

The walls are sealed with aqua seal so I don't think moisture is coming from there.

It seems to be worse in cold weather rather than wet which kind of supports the condensing on a very cold roof approach.

That said I 'borrowed' a space blanket out of the house loft and pegged it to the roof of the garage and although no condensation on the bottom of the space blanket there does seem to be just as much between it and the roof, damn corrugations.

Any more ideas?

are you working in there or putting warm things in there!!!

suspect you have your own micto climate in there

warm moist air rises and as the roof cools the water condences on the unerneath runs down the roof till it hits a supporting timber or the lowest point

removing the foam hasnt worked because the air has no where to go you need a vent on another wall and if its a large area you will need more to stop stagnent corners

are you working in there or putting warm things in there!!!

suspect you have your own micto climate in there

warm moist air rises and as the roof cools the water condences on the unerneath runs down the roof till it hits a supporting timber or the lowest point

removing the foam hasnt worked because the air has no where to go you need a vent on another wall and if its a large area you will need more to stop stagnent corners

I do spend some time in there so ventilation could be key. The garage is only 2.4m x 4m, perhaps some weep vents woudl help, although there is no access to one of the long walls.

Perhaps weep vents along my long external wall and an extractor high on the rear wall would pull enough air through.

What do you reckon?

Now you have put the photos up, I agree with Deluks. Wet earth piled up against the wall will mean the wall is wet.

I do spend some time in there so ventilation could be key. The garage is only 2.4m x 4m, perhaps some weep vents woudl help, although there is no access to one of the long walls.

Perhaps weep vents along my long external wall and an extractor high on the rear wall would pull enough air through.

What do you reckon?

any sort off ventilation will help

i used to work in an area 6ftx12ft with a plastic roof i had to put bottle caps on the wire above the bulb holder with the top half of the bottle screwed on
the light switches and sockets had heavy duty plastic bags screwed behind then folded over the top with blankers covering the power tools to keep the damp out and soak it up
the blankets where hung out to dry each day and recovering the tools at night

A quick update.

I tried the clear plastic on the floor test and there is no sign of water coming through here.

I spent saturday putting in some weep vents, 10 in all along the long side of the garage.

Things seem to have improoved in part. I was going to add a couple of air bricks high up on the opposite side. I'm also going to instll an extractor to pull some airthough once a set humidity is achieved.

I'm not convinced the soil is causing the problem though, the walls are damp proofed with some tar type paint on the inside.

Perhaps if the extractor doesn't slove the problem I'll spend an afternoon with a spade and some damp proof membrane and seal what I can on the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back