Whole wall disbonded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies as I posted this also in the building section.

On one side of my house the plasterboard panels have disbonded from the breeze blocks in each room. In the pics below this is the worse room and you can push the whole wall in like a huge sail by about 1". Has anyone experienced this before or know if it is dangerous? The house was built in 1991.

DSC_0548.jpg

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0545.jpg

Sponsored Links
What you have there Jamie is "Dot and Dab" plaster-boarding that's coming unstuck from the blockwork. The whole wall....It is the ultimate problem with this cheap and nasty method of cladding blockwork. I've never had a good word to say for it and never will...... I don't think there's any way to repair this "properly", other than to take all the wallboards off, strap the wall with battens and re-board it. If it was done that way in the first place, you wouldn't have the problem you have today. Dot and Dab should be outlawed,, but it's quick and cheap to do,, so it wont be. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

You could give it a try with screws/washers, countersunk slightly, (difficult though on plasterboard), to try and pull it back in tight,,, but I think ultimately, and if possible,, timber strapping and re-boarding, would be the ideal solution.,, who knows,,,,I've never had to deal with this type of problem,,,, especially with it being the whole wall too. A dreadful situation for a property less than 20 years old.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Firstly they have been applied wrong, theres not enough dabs and the back of thermal board should be given a tight coat of adhesive then dabbed and screws with big heads should be used aswell as the dabs. Without takin all the boards off the only way to fix it is cut holes similar to the one youve cut lets say 4 a board, use the screws with big heads or big washers and fix the board back to the wall and then fill the holes with drywall adhesive then patch.

Many thanks for the replies it's a bit of a nightmare really, as I own 75% percent of the property and a housing association own the other 25%. Building insurance is in with the rent I pay them each month, but they say the dot & dab disbonds are my problem and the insurance wont cover it. What they did do though is send one of their repairmen out to have a look and he cut out that hole and left. Still waiting from them to know if they plan to sort the hole out!

after screwing it may pay you to supplement the fixings by squirting some of this into the void via some pre-drilled holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back