Internal Rendering mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what a standard render mix is using

hydrated lime, Cemnet, sand

Sponsored Links
Standard render mix:
4 plastering sand - 1 cement -1 lime = scratch coat.
5 plastering sand - 1 cement -1 lime = top coat.

Use a plasticiser/waterproofer in the batch (mix). This will help to aerate the mix, make it easier to use/spread, and the w/proofer will reduce the suction when you come to the top coat. Always "measure" any admix correctly, especially waterproofer!! ....... Lime in a batch is optional, but it allows flexibility in the finished render coats, and reduces the risk of cracking..... I prefer lime in a mix.

Roughcaster.

Hi, down here in Edinburgh nearly ready to render/harl my single storey block block extension, can you tell me the best procedure and mix, is it 5 sand 1 cement 1 lime? PVA applied to blockwork?

Regards

No pva! dampen down the blockwork and follow roughcasters advice on above post.

Sponsored Links
I personally would not use lime in a scratch coat , as it can affect the performance of some water proofing additives, but that's my personal opinion
but the volumes that roughcaster has suggested are ok, but then again i would use a 6:1:1 sand/cement/lime mix in my top coat and no additives, nothing wrong with casters suggestion, this is just my preference

My builder guys have fitted wood to support the verge tiles and it is exposed on the external block work, the wood is 150X50 and is where the verge meets the eaves so is triangle shaped, It is too low down to be covered by verge plastics etc.
I will try get them to remove as I want only block/brick on external walls, I wish I had noticed this earlier !!
Is it ok to harl/render onto this ? will it stay on over the seasons? or will the winters swell the wood too much ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back