Problem taking hearth out! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,
I knocked out a hearth today, that we didn't want.

hearth1.jpg

Problem is, as I was knocking it out, some of the cement from below came out with it, there was nothing I could do, I tried not to! Anyway it loks like I'm down to the damp course. I was happy thinking I could just smooth over any lumpy bits left over with a bit of cement but will it be ok here to just fill this hole in with cement? I have no idea really - I'm confident enough to do it as long as I know it's the right thing to do.

Please help!! Advice is badly needed here!!!!

hearth2.jpg

Many thanks, Orb.

Sponsored Links
remove any loose concrete, brush plenty of pva around, backfill and level off. it will be fine........done hundreds. ;)

remove any loose concrete, brush plenty of pva around, backfill and level off. it will be fine........done hundreds. ;)
Those aren't tiles under there, it's the plastic kinda foam damp-course stuff. Or at least I presume that's what it is!

Thanks Alastair, couple of questions mate..:
Do you mean PVA glue?
What do you mean by backfill? I was planning on basically just chucking a load of cement in and levelling it off!!!

Sponsored Links
yes orby1,
pva glue.
backfilling is exactly as you just described. :D

That's not a damp course a) because there is a join in it and b) because it doesn't even meet the wall.

Looks like some kind of insulation.

That would seem to be more of a plinth than a hearth as it had been built over the existing skirting, was it just a feature under an electric or gas fire?

The floor construction is strange - as the level appears to be the same under the carpet it can be assumed the floor build up is the same all over; which seems to comprise approx 25-40mm of a plaster-like screed over some white insulation?

Thanks Alistair/everybody!
Yes, the hearth/plinth/whatever it is, is just built on top of the existing floor and up to the skirting board, and yes it was under an electric fire.

Thanks again. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back