Door frames i am replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dont know if this is in the correct section as it could also be structural.

i am having some door liners replaced tommorrow along with some new doors hung, i thought id help the guy out and remove the frames for him
but upon doing so i found something i was not expecting.

There are three being replaced this is the first one i have tried to remove, as you can see from the first 3 pictures the verticle bits of the frame go all the way to the ceiling the horizonal bit is morticed into the verticle bit the breeze blocks inbetween the frames sides seem to me to be supported by the frame,

My question is how do you replace these properly, can they be cut and a normal frame put it ???

forgive me as im no carpenter and terminolgy is not accurate.

Image164.jpg

Image163.jpg

Image165.jpg

This picture shows the profile of the frame

Image166.jpg

these are the other two doors, it looks as if the doors where ment to be like to one with the glass above but they changed thier mind when building it, its def the same stuff as the walls so i dont think its added later

Image167.jpg

Image168.jpg

the house is 1950s

i hope the blocks above my now cut frame dont collapse

it is upstairs so it is a very small amount of brick but as im unsure i thought it best to ask

thank for reading any advise would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Are you changing those nice old frames for some modern rubbish?

You are also showing two different doos with what appears to be different ceiling heights, so its hard to say what the frames are doing.

Door frames with glass above are called fanlight, and are generallly non-loadbearing.

It looks like someone has plasterered over a fanlight frame there. If you have cut out the bottom of the frame then the top section will now be loose and liable to crack the plaster when you slam the door. It may also but some load on your new casing casing it to bow.

If the infill is just plasterboard then you will be alright

it looks as though you have fan-light combination casings and that some of the top lights may have been either bricked up later on, or indeed, installed and bricked up from the off.

Sponsored Links
the only reason im changin them is the people who lived here before, had a very naughty kid who baracaded him self in his room, they smashed the frame to get in to him,

The other two have been badly buthched, they have been notched and cut have an extra set of hinge rebabtes along with a set that ahve been covered with some very ill fitting wood, then there are the ones that hold the door up :LOL:

The other doors are all with teh same ceiling hieght i was just showing them so it would make it easier to see what i was doing.....................................obviously it didnt :LOL: :LOL:
i think the door with the galss above is a totaly odd size

to me it looks as if the blocks may move, will it be ok to just fit a new frame and cut the wood that will be under the plaster and leave it there, the doors already had cracks where it was plaster over.

carpentry is not a strong point of mine.......especially as im a sparky :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back