Upvc French Window - Key Snapped Off In Lock. HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really not in the position to fork out for a locksmith right now, and i always like a challenge, with a little assistance of course. So the following is my problem with some pictures attached to help with my description. I hope to god someone can help :D Here goes...

So the other day i went to lock the door in the correct position but the key just snapped off in the lock. It is a fairly flimsy key so i'm not really suprised this happened. It's like the keys used to open your suitcases from those really naff children's diary locks.

These pictures may help you understand my predicament--->

(1) Door handle in connected position, with the plates unprised to reveal the two connecting screws.

11632302ir0.jpg

(2) Door handle removed from lock, with the underneath side showing.

62359910ri6.jpg

(3) Dissasembled parts visible. The small bent piece of metal you see on the side is removed from where it stretches from one of those nuts to the other. The two small screws are the only things visible to take out and that just has a spring underneath which seems to do nothing in means of losening any part.

67509161ef2.jpg

I hope someone can help me. I have tried a magnet, and unfortunately after about 10 minutes, tried the magnet on the part which i still had of the key and found it wasn't magnetic atall. Well that would explain that. Nothing can get inside beside the broken key part, as you can see in the first picture. The barrel around it is pretty much crafted around the shape of the key.

Thankyou for your time.

Sponsored Links
Without a key extractor - I'd say you haven't a chance. Do you have a spare key even if the broken section is removed? If you don't want to call a locksmith, look on the internet for a replacement handle and swap it out.

How would a key extractor work? There is absolutely so space down the side of the key to get anything in there atall. I'm just curious if i was to buy one of those things how would it work in my circumstance?

Thankyou.

If I was you, I'd be looking to buy a replacement handle - shouldn't cost more than £15-£20 depending on model. You've already removed the broken one, so fitting the replacement will be easy.

Sponsored Links
It's funny you should say thatas i am just looking into this but i am getting rather confused of what type it is. There are no identifiers on the window itself so i am searching on the internet right now.

I have pulled up many results which are Tilt And Slide, TNT, TBT, Hoppe, and i am rather quite confused. They range from about £15-£35 in total but i am really not sure what it is.

All i know is that it has a really flimsy key, once unlocked you have to turn it to the 4pm mark as opposed to the locked 6pm mark, once this has been done you slide to the right to open the door as it is hinged on the left. There is only one handle in total on the door which is the one i have removed. There is not one on the outside. Oh and once you have closed the door you press the button in, situated on the front of the handle to lock the door again.

Can anyone help me identify which type o handle i need?

I have been looking at the following, and it is making it even more confusing;

http://www.hdhardware.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=28_174_251&products_id=200

http://www.hdhardware.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40_44_127&products_id=540

Am i anywhere close?

is there not a double glassing co near you? and you could take your one in and say "have you got one like this i can buy, but one that works, as this one doesn't?"

or failing that hit your one with sa hammer from the "wrong side" but it may do it again

lots of designs and makes/models, but just choose one that is designed for your application - eg if your door is a tilt & slide, then select an handle that is designed for this. Check the spindle size and length (you may have to shorten this with a hacksaw), and also check your screw centres.

Well i am defintely going to buy a new handle now, there is no doubt about it.

I have a homebase in the area, and a Focus Do It All as well which i am going to drive to in about 30 mins to check what they have.

As far as i know, because i am in quite a small village there isn't any double glazing places around.

Would you say from what i have described my handle is a tilt and slide?

Because whilst trying to purchase online, i asked a question and he reffered me to the TNT, TBT section which i believe stands for Tilt And Turn or such.

Tilt and Slide Patio Handle costs about £30 where as a TNT,TBT handle costs half of that. So there's obviously a big difference.

Timmie, i think it looks like an ordinary WMS(brand) window handle. What is the measurement of the screw holes c to c, spindle length and width and does the handle normally just move 90 degrees when attached to the door?

Nicksun.

Screw holes from centre to centre a roughly 43mm, the lock spindle length is about 40mm and the end which is a square is about 7mmx7mm. Usually goes to about 45 degrees before opening the door, never 90 though.

Are the screw sizes (thread width) the same on all these handles is what i really need to know to be honest.

As far as i know the screw sizes are the same. The sizes for the holes are window handle sizes, so as long as you get an espagnolette window handle with a pin length of 40mm or greater(you can cut them with a hacksaw) you should be ok. You need a right handed handle. If you have upvc windows already fitted elsewhere in your house you could take one off and give it a try. You can buy from the internet, local double glazing fabricator or try asking a d/g installer- they always have spares on their vans.

Hope this helps.

Nicksun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back