Flushing toilet makes a loud noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I flush the toilet there is a loud groaning noise. It sometimes sounds like a steam boat has pulled into the bathroom :) If I turn the sink cold tap on after flushing the sound increases.

I’m sure it is something easily fixed but I can not see what is causing the problem.

Thanks, Mike.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mike.

It's probably caused by an old diaphram washer in your valve, vibrating just as the valve closes.
Turn the water off.
Strip down valve, taking note how to reassemble.
Replace diaphram washer (usually a round black disc).
Reassemble.

Simples.

Andy.

or fit a new valve which you may find quicker and easier

Later, you can repair the old one at your leisure on the kitchen table, as a spare, if you want, but they are not expensive.

Sponsored Links
some are set height.
some are adjustable.
some have a ball.
some don't.

what have you got now ?

no they don't have a ball they have their own float.
fit any cistern.
more chance of fitting them than the ball type as the ball needs more room for ball/arm.

so that one part replaces the valve, arm and ball? It should fit into the existing space and magically shuts knows to stop filling the cistern.

Crickey, whatever next, lights that work at the flick of a switch?

You cheeky scamp. They look like affiliate links. I may not know diy but I know websites :)

Thanks for the info. I used your links, but I will probably drop by the store on route home and pick one up.

Cheers,
Mike.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back