DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Using FootPump To Clear Blockages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottishGasMan

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote

Ive heard alot of folk saying if theve a blocked radvalve/pipe etc they will connct their footpump to the appropriate area and pump it up, sometimes blowing the blockage through,

But has anyone got any examples of how to hook the footpump to pipework? ideally a 15mm straight with a shcreader valve on it would be good but never seen anyhting like that?

Cheers
SGM
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
nickso

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote

its a messy business though.

i use it as a last resort on an 8mm system that i cant get to the pipes to cut/clear. the footpump valve fits perfect over an 8mm pipe. the risk is when you release the pressure to try and get the push pull effect. all that black s***te can come out fooking quick ill tell you icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
ScottishGasMan

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
all that black s***te can come out fooking quick ill tell you

Lol it certanly can! Ive had it once using the footpump connected up through an old burst expansion vessle but found it a bit impracticle to carry that about just to connect th footpmp lol, mine doesnt accept and 8mm pipe icon_sad.gif thats what someone else suggested but def doesnt fit mine
 Alert Moderators
nickso

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote

ScottishGasMan wrote:
Quote:
all that black s***te can come out fooking quick ill tell you

Lol it certanly can! Ive had it once using the footpump connected up through an old burst expansion vessle but found it a bit impracticle to carry that about just to connect th footpmp lol, mine doesnt accept and 8mm pipe icon_sad.gif thats what someone else suggested but def doesnt fit mine

hmm, my standard issue BG cheap s***te pump is a perfect fit. icon_lol.gif

if i could be a***d id weld a shrader tube on to a threaded tube and carry some brass adaptors to suit various pipes. probably not worth it for the 3 times a year i have to do this. order up some fittings and try to make an adaptor out of brass if you are keen. icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
ScottishGasMan

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote

might wait till im chaging a really small or thin expansion vessle and use that with a filling loop hose on it,

got about 6 filling loop hoses connectect together at the moment for using mains to clear things (well in bathrooms or kitchens, esp handy moving cold choked feeds with out cutting into a pipe and risking an f+e tank full comming down on ya)

My BG Footpumps new got a metal head on it, the older one had the rubber one, maybe im just not givin git enough beans, will try again to be sure!!
 Alert Moderators
namsag

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote

Far better way is to use a sentinel injector pressure botlle, end can be adapted to take various fittings to connect up to stuff , pup it right up and if that does not move it nothing will ,other than cutting out
 Alert Moderators
TicklyT

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote

Just wondering what will happen to the average radiator pressurised to the 100 PSI or so that could easily be developed by a foot pump......... icon_eek.gif

We used to use Schrader valves supplied with 1/4 or 3/8 BSP threads on the end as part of the kit for pressurising telecommunications cables.

IIRC valves with a 1/4" BSP tail are used in some air con systems
 Alert Moderators
nickso

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote

namsag wrote:
Far better way is to use a sentinel injector pressure botlle, end can be adapted to take various fittings to connect up to stuff , pup it right up and if that does not move it nothing will ,other than cutting out

i used to use that a lot for various things but all the fittings got broken and then it got nicked, never got another one.

edit, it also took up a fair bit of room in my tiddly van.

Last edited by nickso on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total
 Alert Moderators
nickso

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote

TicklyT wrote:
Just wondering what will happen to the average radiator pressurised to the 100 PSI or so that could easily be developed by a foot pump......... icon_eek.gif

We used to use Schrader valves supplied with 1/4 or 3/8 BSP threads on the end as part of the kit for pressurising telecommunications cables.

IIRC valves with a 1/4" BSP tail are used in some air con systems

i never go above 3bar which is what most systems should be taking anyway. even 3 bar is a fearsome pressure when it shifts the black stuff, ive not redecorated a customers house yet but its a risk. icon_lol.gif

aircon valves are an interesting prospect.
 Alert Moderators
powermaxer

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote

i use a sentinel dosing vessel adapted to fit all pipe sizes. i often need to clear sludged hydraulic pumping systems in very remote areas, it can be used water at 4 bar or air at 3 bar.heck it works a treat.
ps now adapted with a compression overflow coupler/elbow for clearing condense pipes from boilers/air con units. as my lungs will not get up to the pressure needed to cleas kitchen sink carp from boiler connector when all pipes are hidden.
still have a old unit 8 years old and works a treat.
nice bit of kit.
top marks to makers.
 Alert Moderators
screech

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote

i use a footpump, all you need is a valve from a bike tyre to attach it to with a 15mm union over it, fits on to the new rad valves. for older ones you need an old rad tail to adapt it.

can make it fit pipe from 8mm to 28mm no problem with an adaptor or 2, just that tyre valve is the essential part.

this is what you need
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: