Using FootPump To Clear Blockages

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive heard alot of folk saying if theve a blocked radvalve/pipe etc they will connct their footpump to the appropriate area and pump it up, sometimes blowing the blockage through,

But has anyone got any examples of how to hook the footpump to pipework? ideally a 15mm straight with a shcreader valve on it would be good but never seen anyhting like that?

Cheers
SGM

Sponsored Links
its a messy business though.

i use it as a last resort on an 8mm system that i cant get to the pipes to cut/clear. the footpump valve fits perfect over an 8mm pipe. the risk is when you release the pressure to try and get the push pull effect. all that black ****e can come out fooking quick ill tell you :LOL:

all that black s***te can come out fooking quick ill tell you

Lol it certanly can! Ive had it once using the footpump connected up through an old burst expansion vessle but found it a bit impracticle to carry that about just to connect th footpmp lol, mine doesnt accept and 8mm pipe :( thats what someone else suggested but def doesnt fit mine

all that black s***te can come out fooking quick ill tell you

Lol it certanly can! Ive had it once using the footpump connected up through an old burst expansion vessle but found it a bit impracticle to carry that about just to connect th footpmp lol, mine doesnt accept and 8mm pipe :( thats what someone else suggested but def doesnt fit mine

hmm, my standard issue BG cheap ****e pump is a perfect fit. :LOL:

if i could be arsed id weld a shrader tube on to a threaded tube and carry some brass adaptors to suit various pipes. probably not worth it for the 3 times a year i have to do this. order up some fittings and try to make an adaptor out of brass if you are keen. :D

Sponsored Links
might wait till im chaging a really small or thin expansion vessle and use that with a filling loop hose on it,

got about 6 filling loop hoses connectect together at the moment for using mains to clear things (well in bathrooms or kitchens, esp handy moving cold choked feeds with out cutting into a pipe and risking an f+e tank full comming down on ya)

My BG Footpumps new got a metal head on it, the older one had the rubber one, maybe im just not givin git enough beans, will try again to be sure!!

Far better way is to use a sentinel injector pressure botlle, end can be adapted to take various fittings to connect up to stuff , pup it right up and if that does not move it nothing will ,other than cutting out

Just wondering what will happen to the average radiator pressurised to the 100 PSI or so that could easily be developed by a foot pump......... :eek:

We used to use Schrader valves supplied with 1/4 or 3/8 BSP threads on the end as part of the kit for pressurising telecommunications cables.

IIRC valves with a 1/4" BSP tail are used in some air con systems

Far better way is to use a sentinel injector pressure botlle, end can be adapted to take various fittings to connect up to stuff , pup it right up and if that does not move it nothing will ,other than cutting out

i used to use that a lot for various things but all the fittings got broken and then it got nicked, never got another one.

edit, it also took up a fair bit of room in my tiddly van.

Just wondering what will happen to the average radiator pressurised to the 100 PSI or so that could easily be developed by a foot pump......... :eek:

We used to use Schrader valves supplied with 1/4 or 3/8 BSP threads on the end as part of the kit for pressurising telecommunications cables.

IIRC valves with a 1/4" BSP tail are used in some air con systems

i never go above 3bar which is what most systems should be taking anyway. even 3 bar is a fearsome pressure when it shifts the black stuff, ive not redecorated a customers house yet but its a risk. :LOL:

aircon valves are an interesting prospect.

i use a sentinel dosing vessel adapted to fit all pipe sizes. i often need to clear sludged hydraulic pumping systems in very remote areas, it can be used water at 4 bar or air at 3 bar.heck it works a treat.
ps now adapted with a compression overflow coupler/elbow for clearing condense pipes from boilers/air con units. as my lungs will not get up to the pressure needed to cleas kitchen sink carp from boiler connector when all pipes are hidden.
still have a old unit 8 years old and works a treat.
nice bit of kit.
top marks to makers.

i use a footpump, all you need is a valve from a bike tyre to attach it to with a 15mm union over it, fits on to the new rad valves. for older ones you need an old rad tail to adapt it.

can make it fit pipe from 8mm to 28mm no problem with an adaptor or 2, just that tyre valve is the essential part.

this is what you need
2c5b_2.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back