buying ballast to make concrete, help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I can't believe I cannot find the answer to this anywhere, such an obvious question but I have searched and googled and had no luck. Plenty of information on mixes etc but no answer to what I need.

I am making concrete for various jobs in back garden, putting posts in etc., and have been buying those normal standard bags of ballast but I need a fair bit now and I am wondering whether it is worth ordering one of those jumbo bags instead.

Are they also called 1 tonne bags?

And most importantly since I know how many standard bags I need for each job, how many standard bags are in a jumbo bag?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If its 1 metric tonne, that is 1000kg and the small bags are , i think 25kgs, then you are looking at the equivalent of 40bags. If the bags aren't 25kgs, check the weight on the bag and divide that into 1000 :)

Are they also called 1 tonne bags?

And most importantly since I know how many standard bags

They are 1000kg I believe, probaby works out at about 600 litres

As for standard bags, depends where you go. Wickes are small standard, Selco are large standard and Jewson used to be large standard, then they changed some years back to small standard but charged the same price :eek:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back