Sealing dusty concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It rained when the floor slab was poured, and the surface has been very dusty ever since. Most of it will be tiled.
I've not used concrete sealer before, but, I have half a tin of Exterior Stabilising Solution. Might they be the same sort of thing? Any ideas whether there could be any problems?

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33645&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I realise if you dilute PVA it'll soak more into the surface, but I'm still not convinced it ensures a permanent bond between the tiles and the concrete, because it is effectively just a thin plastic film on the surface of the concrete.
Whereas stabiliser soaks right in and dries, so the surface irregularities are maintained which should lead to a much better key between the tile glue and the concrete. Well that's my thoughts anyway.

I'd probably wire brush the surface before applying it, to remove as much of the dusty stuff as possible.

I just wanted to know if anyone has used "concrete sealer" and found it to be very similar to solvent based stabilising solution.

The stuff i have used once or twice is more like varnish than sandtex

Sponsored Links
rneo, stabilising solution IS like a runny varnish (did i say it was like Sandtex?), so it sounds similar to what you used. That's a "yes" then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back