Roofing Sheets only 10ft long, how many do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to convert a flat roof to a hipped roof. The building is 45 ft x 50 ft. I happen to already have 50 roofing sheets which are 10 ft x 3ft and it makes sense to use these. I would like to calculate how many more I need. The building is overseas and If I dont ship more the 50 I already have will go to waste. (only different profiles are available on the island)
Im already shipping some other materials so the cost of the container is not a factor.

Can someone please give me a calculation so that I can work out how many more sheets I need. I know you will ask me about pitch and this can be set at any degree. I know hipped is more complicated than standard pitch with a gable but this building is subjected to hurricane winds which will remove gable ends like a pack of cards. In addition any overhang will be minimal. I will not be doing this work but I am trying to ensure I have enough materials to make the 50 sheets I already own are put to good use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you assume no overhang your building size is 13.8 x 15.3 metres

If you pitch at 20 degrees across the narrow side then the rafter length will be about 7.3 metres giving a roof area of 2 x 15.3 x 7.3 = 224 sq metres

If your sheets are assumed to be 3 metres x .9 metres and laid with a headlap of 200mm and a sidelap of 150mm this would give a coverage of 2.8 x .75 = 2.1 sq metres per sheet.

Divide 224 by 2.1 = 107 sheets. An allowance must be made for cutting to hips and breakage - say 23 - that means 130 sheets.

You also need about 42 metres of ridge and hip cappings plus allowance for cutting and waste

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back