Demolish kitchen to gain garden??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You enter our victorian terrace straight into the lounge then through to the dining room and then through to a single storey extension which is the kitchen. I am considering making the dining room a dining kitchen and knocking down the kitchen to create a garden as we only have a tiny yard. Good idea or not?? your thoughts please

Sponsored Links
I don’t know the size of your particular 2 up 2 down Victorian terrace but I have two friends who live in very similarly extended town based terraces. This type of extension is very common & usually includes bringing what was once an outside loo within the main property. Although the original features in these terraces are very charming, they are usually quiet small & I think most would struggle for space if reverted back to what was, basically, a very small kitchen at the back of the house.

The market for such properties is usually first time buyers or (by their location) someone who’s primary interest is for easy access to work & town facilities. A garden may not be a high priority for such folks &, as in the case of one of my friends, would be regarded as a total liability. I think you may seriously reduce both your target resale market & the properties resale value if you demolished the extension in favour of reclaiming the garden!

Sponsored Links
Slightly more to the point than my answer but there you have it :LOL:

Your eloquent answer Richard, although detailed, failed to show the emotional alarm that you were no doubt feeling when reading the o.p.

NOOOOO! would be nearer to the point. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back