Removing excess mortar from paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am new to all this, so everything is a steep learning curve, from building retaining walls to fencing, my rear garden is very steep, so have had to cut out 4 levels and make retaining walls, steps etc, all good fun but have slightly mucked up with paving.

I decided to to lay the paving on concrete as the ground was very unstable, so i used hardcore then a 2" bed of concrete, that went well, time will tell.
Anyway i used mortar to to fill the gaps, on day one went well but the second day i was rushed, left without cleaning the excess no i have a framework of excess mortar on some of the slabs, tried using a wire brush but will take forever and i fear damage to the slabs, any ideas, i would prefer not use chemicals, would a pressure washer work, any ideas please??

Sponsored Links
in the word of the bard, they are well and truely ****ed up. youd be better swapping them for fresh ones for the wasted time effort and expense in cleaning them. pressure washer, brick acid etc etc wont shift that

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately i am stuck with these, cost and time being the reason, and they are all concreted in, lifting them isnt a option, i need to find some way to clean them, albeit a wire brush, as i have had luck with that, just wondered if there was a quicker method

dec - I share Thermo's reservations but if you can't (don't want to ) lift them try some brick cleaner (mortar cleaner) carefully brushed on the offending bits; you might just be lucky in loosening it. Have plenty of water handy to neutralise the acid.

If finance wasnt a issue i would, plus they are imbedded now in the concrete, i would loathe to paint, i will try and use a wire brush and slowly remove it, worse scenario perhaps coloured mortar

BUT say i cant remove and i need to make good without replacing the slabs

Whats my best options??

The brick acids that you get now are quite weak, but you can increase the strength by adding some spirits of salts crystals.

The brick acids that you get now are quite weak, but you can increase the strength by adding some spirits of salts crystals.

Couldn't agree less. Get some from a builder's merchants and its strong stuff. So much so that it hurts on the skin. You'll need to water it down before using it, cos your slabs, also cement-based, will be affected too. Brush on, leave for a bit, then attack with a brush.

Good luck. Gonna need it. Someone post this post as a sticky - perhaps in DIY Disasters!

They will still hurt your skin slightly, but they are still much weaker than you used to get. I agree that a strong acid could damage the slabs which won't happen with bricks, so you need to make sure that you brush it on to the stains only.
If you can get some crystals you won't need to buy acid from the merchant as its the hydrochloric acid in it that reacts with the cement. You just need to add some to water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back