Making a shed from fence panels.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the market for a 10'x8' garden shed, and have already prepared the ground and foundations.

I've looking at around the £400 mark for the type I want (a pent roofed one with door on the long side). There are lots of sheds about second hand, but not to my particular spec.

£400 seems a lot for what you get with a shed kit. Anyone had a go at making their own and using fence panels for the walls? The walls on the proper kits seem to be nothing more than fence panels, unless I am mistaken.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
i was going to say theres a good reason why you dont see any sheds made from fencing panels but untill you visit your optician theres no point l o l :D :D

i am assuming you mean feather edge boards rather than fencing panels !!

definatly make your own it will cost you a bit more but will be what you want be twice as strong and last twice as long

If you really mean buying fence panels and fixing them together....it will fall over just as quickly as it goes up!

You can build a better cheap shed by doing it yourself.
Use treated 3x2 or 4x2 for the framework. Cover with featheredge boards as mentioned, sheet of osb and couple layers of cheap felt for the roof. You'll have change from £400.

Using proper tongue & groove boards, insulating, use plywood instead of osb, and good quality felt will obviously all put the cost up.

Sponsored Links
i was going to say theres a good reason why you dont see any sheds made from fencing panels

Which is? Don't worry about patronising me, I am probably missing the obvious here.

assuming you mean these !!!
http://www.fencestore.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/08WEFP8P7P6F-75

fence panels have no real strength the are kept fairly rigid by the posts either end and the cap on top

the layers often twist warp and seperate
you can usualy push your hands between the layers without difficulty :rolleyes:

thanks for the inspiration, I already have a shed built in the garden by the previous owner.. made from what looks like re-cycled long pallets with plywood sides..

the thing is he "waterproofed" it with 2 tarpaulins on the sides.. ( the roof is felted at least.. )

this has started to shred as the wind gets under it and I was looking at having to buy shiplap or tongue and groove to "clad" it with..

Now I'm considering getting some fence panels as in the link above and dismantling them..

Find your local woodyard, not B&Q etc.

You will find decent wood there nice & cheap.

How to build the shed - watch discovery channel - Tommy Walsh's ultimate workshop is always on and shows the basics of construction for it (even if he does cock up occasionally) or there are other "how to build a shed" shows.

OR go get yourself loads of pallets & use the wood from them, treat & stain it & if your clever you can actually make a very nice shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back