Beam Calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not exactly what I am asking for as I can actually already do this manually!

I am looking for some software that my students can use for free. They know how to do UDL calcs using CW and ACW Bending moments. I want to give them an assignment to do for different buildings and I want them to use some automatic tools or the calcs.

There used to be some great tools on the web for this but I can't find any of it!

Anyone got any useful links.

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Students shoud be banned from using *any* design software, until they can do it by hand in the real world. Ditto lecturers :LOL: .

Be that as it may: clicky.

hi there

nice one shytalkz!!

how about writing an excel spreadsheet? in that way they'll learn a bit about the logic and method of carrying out basic calcs that they can build on to allow for more complex loading arrangements...

i found it very useful when i was at uni

andrew

Thanks guys,

All really useful info. The point is that I have already done the practical with them. They can do all the calcs themselves and have proven to me they have enough knowledge.

I'm sure you will agree that this kind of thing is dumbed down to a certain extent. I'm only 33 but I have to say it was a lot harder when I did my degree. I have done point loading, beams and struts (From various different angles). I have done stress and strain and youngs modulas and the assignment I have given them is about as horrendous as I could get without moving to HNC stuff. Gotta keep them on their toes!

I have gone away from the idea of keeping it easy, if I make it just that little bit harder, they will appreciate it more and gain more from it. My whole philosophy is to improve the standard of student that I personally produce. I would rather they tried something hard and got somewhere near than go for the easy option and do an OK job.

Wouldn't you agree.

MATLAB and SIMULINK is my next point of call if nobody has any other ideas!

Paddyalan

Sponsored Links
On your degree course, I take it that the spelling of Mr Young's theory about elastic behaviour was not of paramount importance, then? ;)

I think all teaching should be permissible stress approach to start with, so that the loads and stresses are "real". That way, the loadings have some grip on reality, whereas now ULS gives meaningless results that are hard to guage. And I think that "unrealness" shows in the level of understanding of graduates and students. The teaching of limit state design should be a progression, not the be all and end all.

I had a job of mine checked not that long ago: remedial piling, piles at around 1500 centres, 300x300 RC beam and the (sprog) checking engineer said he was concerned as my applied moment equalled my resistance moment, so could I put some more bars in?! As I pointed out, my design was actually safe, yet economic: these were limit state results, with an average of 1.55 on the loads and 1.15 on the materials, so just how big a factor of safety was he actually looking for :rolleyes:. In speaking with him, it was readily apparent that he had no concept of actual loads and stresses.

But yes, work them to the bone, but make them do hand drawings as well as calculations, then and only then might there be some return to the quality of engineers of the old HNC-to-chartered days (before my time, I hasten to add!).

Your absolutely right.

We have to get back to the good old days actually producing decent engineers that can think for themselves not just spoon feeding them.

Unfortunately it looks like you had the building inspector without the communal brain cell that day. Did he make you remove the whole thing in the end.

My students are busily working on Matlab as we speak and enjoying every minute of it. I love it when I see it finally click with them and they understand the concepts enough to put it into practice.

Thanks again
Paddalan

That was a checking engineer, not a BCO. I just told him to cough and he did :LOL:.

Never used Matlab etc, just went on the website - wondering if I can get away with a student download?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back