Dim lights & messed up switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the kitchen light today as I'm installing a new ceiling. After fitting a new temporary light rose with single bulb, the breaker blew. I removed the new fitting and when I set the breaker again, the following happened:

2 x Hall lights, on a 2-switch circuit, now work on a single switch
Bathroom switch also activates the hall lights
2 x bedroom lights do not work
all lights, except the living room, are dim, around half power!

I've checked the lamps, all in working order & still getting 240v across the switches & light fittings.

I gather I've got an earth somewhere but as to where. I have no idea!! Any thoughts??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Phil it sounds as though you have incorrect wiring at the light you are working on...more info needed about this wiring . Have you got maybe 3 reds- 3blacks + 3 green/yellows..if not what is there.?

need a lot more info..
what wires do you have where..

a picture of the new rose would help..

Sponsored Links
OK, apologies for the diagrams, but here's what I have.

I have 240V across Red 2 & Black 2
I get 240V from Red 2 to any Earth
I have 125V from Red 2 to both Red1 & Black 1.
I get nothing at all on the 3rd set of wires

At the switch, I have no voltage as the light fitting is not attached.
I will assume that the yellow & blue go to a secondary switch somewhere, but I don't have one, so they must be dead wires somewhere!

Does this help?

Thanks,

turn the power off, and switch the switch on ans see which red and black has continuity..

that's the switch cable..

then wire as follows..

View media item 13604
the left hand cable in my picture is the switch wire.

ColJack,

I was doing just that after I posted the wiring diagram, and have now sorted it. Simple schoolboy error of not making a note of which wires went where!!

As it was, Red2 & Black 2 were the live feed on the circuit, Red 3 & Black 3 are the switch circuit and Red 1 & Black 1 are the continuation to the next light. As such, I've now got them wired up correctly and all my lights are working again!

Thanks to you guys for the help, much appreciated.

Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back