economy 7 immersion heating system direct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys i need a little advice on diagnosing a problem with a stored economy 7 direct system, theres no hot water!
the system is very old pre war 1940 and so is the wiring and consumer unit,where do i start the fault finding with my multi meter,is there a certain proceedure to follow i.e fuses,timer,elements
cheers

Sponsored Links
If your system is that old then your immersion probably won't have an overheat stat, and the wiring will probably be rubber in which case a professional would be required.

However if you safely isolate power (at double pole switch probably beside cylinder) you could measure ohms between L and N and hope to find 17 ohms.

A picture of the connections on the immersion would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
well for a start there's no insulation on half the wires at the element.
secondly, as it's that old watch out for asbestos lagged pipes etc ..

Rip it all out - everything in the loft. Except maybe the framework. Take out that cylinder, the shuttering round the tank, the pipes, the flex drops to the elements. Also remove any other steel or iron or lead pipes you find. Please get an asbestos report done first, on everything you will be disturbing, so you know how to proceed.

Not sure where the u-bend is from but that looks lead so has to go too. :(

Its all very quaint, but the immersion is a severe safety hazard, the steel pipes bay be corroding, and all that asbestos (if it is) has to come out sooner or later.

That's the sort of thing we like to see! The last time i saw a box like that it was on Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark was inside it....

Blimey O'reilly. I think that you have had your money's worth out of this system.

I know there was something in the press recently about the oldest working TV (1936), but I think this could go in the oldest water heater category.

Not to current standards. Not even to current Eastern European standards! ;)

Until a few weeks ago we still had a wooden toilet cistern at our stores

Looked just like this one:

BTC25-japkap-wooden-cistern.JPG

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back