Out of square kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just in the process of fitting a kitchen in the house and I've discovered that one of the walls is approximately 25mm out over 1500mm. This means that if I join the worktops at 90 degrees that I will have a 25 mm gap at the back of the cabinets to deal with. The other option is to make the angle slightly greater than 90 degrees to take out the 25mm.

I'm guessing that the second option is the best way to go. Just wanted to confirm it.

Thanks
FK

Sponsored Links
It is if you are fitting the base units back to the out of square wall as well. If you are bringing them off the wall to maintain a 90 degree corner then the worktop overhang will taper away if you adjust the worktop angle to lose the extra inch. In short , whatever angle you set the base units at then do the same with the worktops.

I always put both sets of units back to the wall and then scribe the mitre accordingly for the reason already mentioned by daz, if the wall is too far out over a long distance you could end up with a very noticaable taper on the work tops

Sponsored Links
Chappers/DazB et al,

About to do this for the very first time, after playing with the Mitre and Jig in the comfort of my own shed.
Can you, for the sake of my simple brain, step me through how you allow for the non-90 degree angle? Is it simply (did i say simply? :eek: ) a case of siting one worktop, laying the other on top, using it as a guide to mark a reference line for the jig? :confused:

DavePrior said:
how you allow for the non-90 degree angle?

Did you mean 2 x 45 degree angle :?:

It's rare these day as the kitchen room are not normally square, the most popular joints are the mason mitre.
miteri5_small.jpg

Yep I usually cut the female joint first and then lay that over the other piece of worktop with them both back against their respective walls and just scribe tthe line on the male worktop (make sure you get your pencil tight up to the female joint as it is crucial you cut exactly to this line).
I then clamp the jig in position and check by lowering the cutter to just skim the worktop and run it along the jig to check it hits the line all the way along the cut, adjust the jig accordingly until its perfect and then cut away

Freud have just started selling the first kitchen worktop jig for out of square walls.
It's the 700mm VAJ jig.
No price published in the report but more info can be got from 0870 770 4275

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back