Damp on Chimney in Attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a ~100 year old terrace house.
Just had an entire new roof, flashing etc and both chimney's re-pointed (by a different builder than the roofer), including the lowering and rebuild of the one which is affected here. (As it was well over 10ft tall!)

Both were done a couple of months ago while the weather was dry. Now we're getting some rain I have noticed this problem.

I don't know whether it's likely the roofer and his flashings that are a problem, or the brickies who did the chimney re-point.

By the way, the bit where the plaster is off is what I've done, as getting ready for a new ceiling, however obviously I'm reluctant until this is resolved. :(

Any ideas what might be the cause, or is it too hard to tell?

View media item 16979

Sponsored Links
Looks like too much water for seepage through the brickwork. However many old stacks had no water barrier.
The obvious shoice would be the flashings.
Get some Mangers "Stop That Leak" to make a temporary fix but forget the ceiling until this is sorted.
(You might try to exose the tile line from beneath by cutting back the insulation boards)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back