Asbestos garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an asbestos roof on my garage which needs dealing with. Rather than replacing it I would prefer to coat it with a waterproof coating. Has anyone had experience of a coating product called Kemper 1k PUR which has been suggested?

Filmskate

Sponsored Links
Hiya there

Yeah I've used it a couple of times for small asbest roofs. Its easy to use, just scrap any loose / flaky crap of the roof, give it a good clean and use the primer from the same guys.. Allow the primer to dry, doesn't take long and then apply the Kemper Pur using a paint roller. short, straight strokes is better, don't go mad and run all over the place lol

However, you can't use this yourself, only Kemper approved contractors are allowed to apply this

Thanks for the info. You say you've used it yourself but in your final parragraph you say "However, you can't use this yourself, only Kemper approved contractors are allowed to apply this" Does this mean that you're a Kemper contractor or how dis you use it yourself? Will Kemper not sell the stuff direct?

Hiya

Yes my employer is kemper approved. We have only used it once, we don't get much call for it in the Scottish Borders

You could use acrypol on Asbestos roofs it will last for about a year, or you could torch on felt it but it is risky

If it was me, I would felt over it and replace with tin etc

As far as I'm aware, you can't buy kemper over the counter unless you have your registartion details which you won't have. We used it about a year ago, so not sure if they have changed it

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your update. Felt would seem like a good alternative. There is a company called Asbestosafe who do a number on asbestos garage roofs. I don't know if it's a simple torch-on felt system or whether it's something more sophisticated. Can one use regular torch-on felt on top of asbestos - will it adhere, do you know?

yeah normal felt will stick without any problems. Just make sure you prep the surface.. Any flaking asbestos, moss grass etc.. You could do it yourself but with using heat I would recommend getting someone else to do it if its a large area

No work should be conducted on asbestos materials, even non licensed materials such as asbestos cement, without suitable non licensed training and suitable method statements and plans of work.

If no plan of work is available it is effictively breaking the law!!

The Regulations do not apply to asbestos cement products. Asbestos cement is mainly a mixture of asbestos and cement which is compressed or moulded to a high density. The most common asbestos cement products are roofing sheets, wall boards, gutters, drainpipes and flues.

As long as you follow the conditions in the "Control of Asbestoes" which is linked here

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a14.pdf

Then you are not breaking no laws

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back