Boiler service - what should I expect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking for a good (independent if possible) boiler engineer to service my two Baxi 105e's and obviously don't want another cowboy on the ranch. When I ring the engineer I want to ask him what is included as part of the service and try to guage that response.

Should I expect a discount or barter a little on the price for two (no travelling time to cost in for the second boiler at the very least)? What kind of money is expected for a service; 50, 80, 120? I'm not looking for the cheapest but would like an engineer where a working relationship can be built for any future work in the house.

Alternatively, any engineers on here in the Liverpool area who aren't afraid to put their name in a public forum are more than welcome.

Sponsored Links
If its only flue gas analyser and the other simple checks then avoid.

For example If you had BG in they would fire up the boiler do a flue gas analysis and if it passes the service is done.
Thats in relevant terms means i can service a car because i can turn the keys see if any lights come on the dash and if they dont service done.

On a service the company i work for does the full 9 yards.

Full strip down and cleanout removing the burner etc.
Heat Exchanger cleaned with HE Brushes.
Pressure vessel check and recharge where needed (Baxi 105e's can be drained at the boiler for this).
All casings , pump, gas valve etc cleaned of dust and debris.
Spark Electrodes checked and cleaned.
Gas pressure checked.
Then a flue gas analysis.

All the above can be done in 30 - 35 mins no problem.

As for price every region and plumber is different.

For example If you had BG in they would fire up the boiler do a flue gas analysis and if it passes the service is done.
Thats in relevant terms means i can service a car because i can turn the keys see if any lights come on the dash and if they dont service done.

Pressure vessel check and recharge where needed (Baxi 105e's can be drained at the boiler for this).
Gas pressure checked.

not quite, bg would check the combustion seals, check the burner pressure and carry out a f.g.a test :LOL:
don't think i've ever seen a baxi 105 which has needed a strip clean, prob need the vessel pumping tho

Gas pressure checked.

not quite, bg would check the combustion seals, check the burner pressure and carry out a f.g.a test :LOL:
don't think i've ever seen a baxi 105 which has needed a strip clean, prob need the vessel pumping tho

Not knocking BG just used them as an example (Sorry :oops: ) just pointing out what we do.
And yes your right i am virtually a service and breakdown guy and most boilers dont really need the full lot but its just what my company does.

Sponsored Links
vessel check and proper checking and adjusting of burner pressure I'd say are most important on a combi. All the other stuff is just for show :D

I shouln't expect to much then! :)

Pressure vessel and cleaning I do myself so basically looking at someone to come out and check my gas pressure and flue.

Cheers

just seen some of your prev posts. if ya still having problems and decided to have the boiler serviced due to the faults, id tell the engineer before he comes. nobody likes going to a service to find its really a breakdown and a while ya here job :evil:

I'm not looking for the cheapest but would like an engineer where a working relationship can be built for any future work in the house.

So looking to build a working relationship with your prospective engineer and not looking for cheapness, yet you intend to do half the service yourself.

No probs, I understand that. I've had a few things with the system, got a new pump put on and cleaner put through system and things are toasty.

Still, I've a concern over the modulation process which I think could be related to gas pressure which is well out of my safe zone plus a bit of peace of mind witth the flue so might as well get a service and see where I am after that.

Thing is, with the amount of sub standard work being done out there I'm not going to call someone I've not used before for a fault finding/give me the worst news exercise so would rather see how they go with a service and go from there. I may have a bit of work updating the two boilers to suit the house when I have the money so would like an engineer I can trust.

I'm not looking for the cheapest but would like an engineer where a working relationship can be built for any future work in the house.

So looking to build a working relationship with your prospective engineer and not looking for cheapness, yet you intend to do half the service yourself.
No, I said I do/ can do those things myself. This is why I'm asking what should I expect from a boiler service. I imagine a service is a service whether I've done some of the things anyway.

In our local area we charge £55 for a service on an older boiler and £65 on a modern premix.

If there is a second unit at the same address then we charge an additional £35.

But to avoid being called to repair a fault ( which is more expensive ) we do servicing 7-10 days later. A repair the same day where possible.

You did say you have concerns over the modulation process, that sounds like a fault in our dictionary.

When we service a boiler thats on the basis that its operating correctly as far as the customer can tell.

Tony

Thanks for the reply, what do you do as part of a service? As comprehensive as nogoodatfaultfinding or as quick as BG?

I have had a RGI recommended to me through a mate and I've explained that there is some problem but nothing that can't wait so just waiting for him to get back to how he wants to handle it.

I do what is necessary in each case. Its not normally necessary to remove the burner in every case.

What I always do is to examine the installation, flue and any discharge points for correct fitting and positioning, internally inspect the boiler for leaks or other problems, check fans turn freely and then test boiler and set the minimum/maximum gas setting if appropriate and the gas consumption and that the hot water is correctly heated on a combi.

Only on a VERY few services that I come across are the gas pressures checked or reset. Many RGIs dont even know how to set the minimum!

Tony

Cheers again.

Only on a VERY few services that I come across are the gas pressures checked or reset. Many RGIs dont even know how to set the minimum!

Tony

This is my concern in regards to finding an RGI I can trust, cost isn't my main concern as, in my opinion, a proper fix/repair/service the first time saves it's own money in the future.

The thing is, I wasn't involved in the original installation (I just paid for it!) as it was done as part of major renovation of the house 8 years ago now. I have never liked the solution/bodge that was provided and I'm doubtful all these checks were made the first time round which is why I'm trying to be careful in my choice this time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back