windows xp missing "misconfig file"

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm unable to start 'msconfig' by typing the same in the START>RUN on my Windows XP machine.

I get the folowing error message:

Windows cannot find 'msconfig'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Can anyone please assist me with getting this resolved?
Thanking all in advance. :confused: :(

Sponsored Links
You can download it from the internet. If you're after it functionality there are loads of better programs such as Winpatrol, Starter, Autoruns etc, to name a few.

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
Firstly update and run your Antivirus program because losing the Run process is a possible sign of virus infection.

If your av software finds anything let it quarantine it, then try the Run Comand again.

If it fails, download and install SuperAntiSpyware and check for updates then run a quick scan. Remove anything it finds.
Then with the SAS Main menu open, click Preferences.
Click the Repair Tab, click Enable Start menu Run and click Perform Repair.

See how that gets on.

Another explanation of how to fix the problem is;
http://tinyurl.com/yq73uw

dave

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
Sponsored Links
Thanks all for you help. This is for the benefit for all others who might have this problem. The reason for the missing file is current user profile is corrupt therefore i need to create new user profile and copy the necessary files to new user. I hope this will help somebody fast as i had to spend a lot of time on this problem.

Back