GATEWAY LAPTOP w340ua screen wont come on ,even external

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
GATEWAY LAPTOP w340ua screen wont come on even external monitor still dont work,check memory,removed hard drive,contacted gateway,they told me to try a few things but no luck.
The blue power light come on and the cd light flashes but no sign of life to the screen.
Anyone come accross this and able to shed some light.Soulds like a faulty motherboard,I am trying to repair this for a friend.
Please help
Cheers

Sponsored Links
As it will not even work onan external monitor it sounds like the graphics is goosed!
Onboard graphics so it could mean looking at another MB, but if your friend thinks it is worth repairing then get it to a local computer shop to check the graphics and give you an idea of what is wrong and cost of repair.

dave

As it will not even work onan external monitor it sounds like the graphics is goosed!
Onboard graphics so it could mean looking at another MB, but if your friend thinks it is worth repairing then get it to a local computer shop to check the graphics and give you an idea of what is wrong and cost of repair.

dave

Cheers Dave, I GUESSED that the motherboard was faulty,but was hope not,and looking to se if anyone had this problem and fixed it.

Sponsored Links
From the top of my head these use the nvidia graphics chip, these fail very regularly in most laptops but in this gateway it has a very badly designed heatsink, the chip will need to be reflowed or reballed. In both cases it might not be economical to do unless you can do this yourself as it will most likely fail again due to the back headsink design.

If you read up about the xbox 360 red ring of death and "reflowing" using a heat gun you could try something similar with your laptop although it is very risky and might not last that long.

Back