Sanded pine floor but boards are slightly different shades..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Am new to the forum and wondered if anyone could help.

I've sanded the pine wooden floor in my kitchen and whilst most of it looks great, along some of the boards they are coming up slightly different shades ie the bottom of the board looks really light whilst the other end has a more yellow tinge to it. Do you think this is because I haven't sanded it evenly enough or can this just happen? The boards are pretty old, about 100 years and this the first time they've ever been sanded.

I'm just worried that once I start varnishing its going to look really uneven, would going for a darker varnish be better?

Any advice would be great

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Colour variation is a normal effect of timber. Also, sunlight generally has a darkening effect on the surface.

I think you'll be fine with the lighter varnish, give it a few months and you'll wonder what you were worrying about.

Yes you're right, I am completely scrutinizing each board just now....but I suppose I don't want it to be perfect, if I did I'd have gotten a brand new floor!

Thanks for putting a newbie at ease!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back