loft access /increase size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loft hatch. I need to increase the size. its 16"wide&36long.Can i cut 1 rafter and put trimmers in to safely increase the width??has anyone any advice on this job? :confused:

Sponsored Links
scrumpyjack said:
Can i cut 1 rafter and put trimmers in to safely increase the width??
When you says rafter I think you mean ceiling joists, if so, then you can by putting double trimmer with joist hanger and best to double the ceiling joist on the side with screws or nuts/bolts/square plate washers on the whole length if you can.

If you cut out a section of ceiling joist or floor joist, you put in a trimmer which is the same size timber across the opening with joist hanger to support the the timber you've cut. Sometime we have to double the joist on the side for extra support.
See this and number 1 is a trimmer after the joist been cut out for a staircase

Sponsored Links
Cheers masona. So from a loft conversion point of view, those Trimmers looks quite tricky to fit!!!

(and a bit important)...

bpowell555 said:
So from a loft conversion point of view, those Trimmers looks quite tricky to fit!!!
When I did my loft conversion I has to use 3 at 8"x3" trimmers joist bolted together for the opening of the spiral staircase :!:

Note that if you have trussed rafters cutting the joist part of the trussed rafter can cause problems as they are not designed to be cut at all.

From the Trussed Rafter Association .... "It cannot be overstressed that the strength and lightness of trussed rafters derives from the combination of members and joints brought together in a triangulated framework. Unless subject to special design arrangements with the trussed rafter designer, truss members must never be cut or trimmed." The TRA website can be found via Google.

I'm thinking about how to increase head room to a fixed ladder stair going up to a loft conversion (whose quality I'm trying to work out)... Had a look last night and it seems under the joists is a bit of wall above what used to be the cupboard door and is now the top of the door in front of the fixed ladder.

Thinks - there's not likely to be a lintel there as there's just 6 inches of wall above it before the joist, can't I just increase the height of the door to make better access to the loft? Would be a good excuse to fit a fire door that I'm sure would make a building inspector v happy.......

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back