Lathe and plaster ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old lathe and plaster ceiling and I want to board it and skim.
Would it be ok to board straight over it or should i remove the old lathe and plaster first. Obviously i'll be screwing through into the joists.
Cheers
john

Sponsored Links
I've got an old lathe and plaster ceiling and I want to board it and skim.
Would it be ok to board straight over it or should i remove the old lathe and plaster first. Obviously i'll be screwing through into the joists.
Cheers
john
overboard it if its level and none of it has dropped, look in my pics on profile page, there is one there i done, shows you the stages as well

Pull it down, much more fun. Sorry I couldn't resist that! If you pull it down there will be so much dust and it WILL go EVERYWHERE in your house, no matter what lengths you go to prevent it. Over board where ever possible in a home which is being lived in! Make sure you find the joists and make sure you get screws that are long enough to be in the joists at least an inch.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Just completed the exact same job this weekend, and similar to you was not in the position to pull the existing ceiling down!

I too asked for advice here and I must say had some really great help :). I can pass on some tips that I found?

I was able to access the ceiling joists from the room above so I drilled some very small holes either side of the joists (so I knew where they were). I then drew lines from the holes in the ceiling to the wall to aid my alignment.

I used 12.5mm pb and 75mm drywall screws to attach the board to the joists.

I put the boards in a 'blockwork' pattern then taped the joins and filled with pb adhesive.

The difficult part was raising the board to the ceiling, I did not get a chance to build a 'deadman' or T support I just managed to do it using a stepladder to support, I think I may hire a plasterboard lifter for the other rooms tho'
;)

Hope this helps and good luck!

Nice one Rusty! Sounds like what I did also.
I found a surform useful to get the boards as tight as possible where the wall ran out a little- seemed to work quite well.

Good Luck

I've just taken down 4 ceilings in one go. VERY messy job and about 4 tones on material. However I now have a blank canvas to work with and I'm safe in the knowledge im not going to have old lathe and plaster falling / damaging my mew ceilings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back