Building notice & plastering an entire house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having the entire house replastered - old plaster has been removed and it'll be floated with browning and bonding.

Do I need to involve building control in this work? House is 1930s 50mm with brick on inside and outside.

Sponsored Links
I'm fairly sure you do need to involve BC nowadays, when doing a substantial amount of refurb plastering. The person on here who could tell you for sure,, RichardC, is on holiday, so unavailable, but i would check with BC, just to make sure.

Yes you should inform B/C, If you do then they will most likely make you insulate all exterior facing facing walls,
I think it comes in if you remove 25% of the original plaster in any room,
if they are not involved in any thing else you are doing you could say nothing.

They are involved in other things. Once the walls are all finished, if they come in, will they know we've redone them from scratch as opposed to just repaired and skimmed the walls?

Sponsored Links
Just to explain a bit more. We are also having an extension done although its not due to start for another month or so. Building control are involved and they have been round already to have a look around (building notice submitted). At the time, we were only planning to repair the walls but after spending a few weeks steaming the wallpaper the old lime plaster was damaged to the stage where it wasn't really worth fixing. Plasterer gave us a price for replastering entirely and we proceeded with the job on that basis not really thinking about building control. At the moment we've asked to have the walls floated and not sure where we stand now - should we involve building control or just plead ignorance and hope they don't really notice.

I think it's always better to be up front with this kind of thing. If you don't mention anything, and then get found out later on, it could be an expensive mistake, especially if you have to rectify it.

If they have been, do you know there name, the one who is over seeing your job, if so phone him and have a talk about it,
they will go out of there way to help you, if you are honest and up front with them, they may be more lenient in staff's than they are here,
My B/C bloke was going to let me go with 60% of my plaster off in a bed & bathroom as I had 100 mm of king span in the ceilings
now where there was nothing + new double glazed windows, but with so little left I removed the rest knowing that I would have to insulate.
I still rended my outside walls then fix 27 mm insulated plasterboard to them.

Thanks everyone for the advice which I'll take and give building control a call on Monday to discuss with them.
I am not looking forward to telling plasterer that this is what I am doing. He just wants to get on and finish the job but I guess he should have told me this in the first place when I said about stripping the walls instead of patching.

You've got some good advice there, but don't be too hard on the plasterer.

We've touched on this before here, so this is just my point of view -

It's not really his job to be aware of all the regs, and if he's been asked to quote for a job and do the work, then that's what he'll do. For example, if you build an extension and you ask to render it, he'll assume you've got the permissions etc.

Personally I would ask if everything is cleared when quoting for the work, but I would not take it any further (like ringing up the council myself) as the onus is on the client to do this.

All of these insulation and sound regs are relatively new and vary from place to place- and you are not dealing with any health and safety issues like a plumber or electrician, who build their responsibility (and cost) to keep abreast of regs into their rates

In your other post you say you are having your cavity walls filled this maybe enough to satisfy B/C as you have upped the insulation
value of your walls.
I agree with Micilin on this, ((It's not really his job to be aware of all the regs) (the onus is on the client to do this.)) be it private or
builder. and many plasterers don't know them, I didn't know until Richard c posted about them. and I'm sure a good many others
didn't.

I still rended my outside walls then fix 27 mm insulated plasterboard to them.

Should b/c insist that the insulation in the plastering needs to be increased, is there a way of doing this with more traditional plastering (hardwall, bonding etc) ?

E.g. you could easily imagine the situation where the client was after a float & set for a more solid result (as jesteh above).
But if b/c requested the insulation is increased, is the only option then on the plastering to use insulation-backed p/board with skim on top?

Should b/c insist that the insulation in the plastering needs to be increased, is there a way of doing this with more traditional plastering (hardwall, bonding etc) ?
Hardwall I think has the highest insulate value out of the float coats.

E.g. you could easily imagine the situation where the client was after a float & set for a more solid result (as jesteh above).
But if b/c requested the insulation is increased, is the only option then on the plastering to use insulation-backed p/board with skim on top?

that is something that I really can't answer but it does look like that may well be what's coming for some like myself,
my walls are solid 9 & 18 inch, jesteh has a cavity wall so with that filled and a hardwall float coat b/c should be happy.

Rendering my walls true or flat if you like let me skim the adhesive on to the insulated board so its stuck flat and not on dabs,
then fixed with screws, this does give a much better soiled sound when knocked.

Thanks Marshman, that's a useful answer and I like your alternative approach with the p/b.

I promised to provide an update on this so here goes.

Spoke to B/C and hinted that we have removed the plaster from wals. Was told that if you are removing more than 25% of the plaster, strictly speaking the work is notifiable with respect to the thermal element of the replacement used (i.e. using thermal plasterboards or similar on external walls).

'Having said that, if you are already insulating the cavity and loft (which we are), I would just carry on with the work you are doing - its not something that we are too concerned about...'

Hopefully, thats the last we hear of it.

Nice one, alls fine then on the jesteh front then, :LOL:
thank you for the update.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back