Boiler change and microbore heating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
My old Potterton boiler needs replacing and I've had several quotes to do so. However I am now confused as all but one of the engineers have recommended that I also change my microbore radiator pipes to 15mm because I live in a hard water area. One said that I should leave it but have a descaler fitted. I've also been told contradictory things about power flushing a microbore system, some say that it can be done others say it can't. What should I do? Please help me 'flush' out the cowboys (pardon the pun). Many many thanks for any help.
Princess

Sponsored Links
I can't see no problem leaving the microbore in place. I have done loads of boiler changes like yours with no problems.

Scale should only be a problem with hot water, not system water, unless you have a leak and it is constantly being topped up.

It is very much harder to flush a microbore system to the same standard as a small bore system, but it can be done. Then have a Magnaclean or similar fitted with the new boiler.

So unless there is something that these other installers can see that I cannot from here, go with the one who will keep the pipe work if you think he is trustworthy and hopefully has come recommended.

I can't see no problem leaving the microbore in place. I have done loads of boiler changes like yours with no problems.

Scale should only be a problem with hot water, not sysyetm water, unless you have a leak and it is conatantly being topped up.

It is very much harder to flush a microbore system to the same standard as a small bore system, but it can be done. Then have a Magnaclean or similar fitted with the new boiler.

So unless there is something that these other installers can see that I cannot from here, go with the one who will keep the pipe work if you think he is trustworthy and hopefully has come recommended.

I agree Dave, if the system circulated before, why would it not after a boiler change??!!

Perhaps it would be wise to change your radiator valves though.

If it works now it will work with new boiler, 8mm can be flushed no problem, put X400 in for 3 weeks with old boiler, then flush system out with mains water, fit new boiler and all will be well in the cosmos.

Sponsored Links
Thank you to all my knights in shining armour, that has made my mind up. I'm going to do exactly what you recommend. Many thanks.
Princess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back