after sanding my bedroom walls there is a smell in the room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone please help, i have been in my house for some time always put wallpaper up but decided to paint my bedroom walls this time.
They need a really good sanding thou which i set too, it looked ok, i would have got it skimmed if i had the money but i didn't so any finished painting got it all done but there is a really funny smell in my bedroom (no its not me ha ha) its the walls they smell funny. I don't know if i should paint it all again if i need to get something special to put on them before i paint again.
Somebody anyone any ideas sleeping downstairs at mo on sofa

Sponsored Links
When paint dries it releases odours into the atmosphere. These depending on the the type of paint can smell quite nasty. With good ventilation the smell should go and everything will be ok again. ;)

Hi Smellybean . ;) you may have disturbed some old organic wash from years ago :idea: kind of livened it up with the new paint . It should still dry and stop smelling . Worst thing I ever smelt was glue used by a funiture restorer M8 - you don`t want to know what was in it :mad:

Sponsored Links
Shelly.

You have been so far given excellent advice regarding your problem, and I only have one question. Shelly did you perhaps strip the wallpaper and sand then paint. If so the application of any waterbased coating will tend to release the vehicle of the paste and can produce the early breakdown of your emulsion paint and cause an unhealthy odour.

If you were to read and digest the info in the the link that opps presented you with, you will find that this is a albeit rare but apparent occurance.

Although at the present time Crown seem to be held responsible I would deem this as unfair.

What are solvents, well in simple terms they are present in oil based paints and in themselves have good blocking qualities. Therefore if your present paint system is of good health and shows no signs of premature breakdown, you should apply an oil based undercoat then re-emulsion.

Dec.

I agree that too much emphasis was placed upon Crown in the video when ultimately the problem highlighted is down to the plaster and environment rather than the paint.

Shelly.

You have been so far given excellent advice regarding your problem, and I only have one question. Shelly did you perhaps strip the wallpaper and sand then paint. If so the application of any waterbased coating will tend to release the vehicle of the paste and can produce the early breakdown of your emulsion paint and cause an unhealthy odour.

If you were to read and digest the info in the the link that opps presented you with, you will find that this is a albeit rare but apparent occurance.

Although at the present time Crown seem to be held responsible I would deem this as unfair.

What are solvents, well in simple terms they are present in oil based paints and in themselves have good blocking qualities. Therefore if your present paint system is of good health and shows no signs of premature breakdown, you should apply an oil based undercoat then re-emulsion.

Dec.

yes stripped the wallpaper then sanded then painted, i have just opened up the paint i had used and that smells as well so it could well be the paint, but i will try out what u have said about the oil based undercoat then try emulsion again. i wont have to sand again thou will i can i just put the oil based undercoat over what is on the walls.
thanks very much for your imput, bein a single mum sucks sometimes gotta be a jack of all trades and def a master of none :)
thankyou

for what its worth, i couldn't drag up a kid on my own. I can just about look after myself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back