How do you refit a banister to the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment the brackets for the banister is screwed to a piece of wood and it looks stupid, so as we are having our landing plastered i was going to remove the banister and piece of board so they can plaster where the board was and then i could refit the banister. So my question is if i use the old banister but use new brackets how do i fix it to the wall from scratch.

Sponsored Links
Mark the screw positions for the brackets and use masonry plugs and screws. For a handrail I would use 2" screws.

i would use the bigest screws you can get away with without breaking out the wall behind,no harm in over kill ;)

I think i should have said handrail and not the banister. So how do i know what angle the handrail got to be.

Sponsored Links
Same angle as the stairs. Measure the height of the handrail above the steps at the moment then after the plastering is done, re fix to the wall at the same height. Simples ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back