Slate Roof Replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I live in a block of flats in a listed building, the top flat has some damp around the chimney breast so they organised for someone to have a look at the roof.
They have come back and said that we need a completely new roof, all chimneys need to be reflashed etc.... i have attached some pictures from the quote but these maybe selective by the builder to highlight the issue (ill grab some of the whole roof this weekend).

So the question is from the limited pictures does it need a complete reroof? there doesn't appear to be that many slipped tiles etc? but you may take one look at it and say that it needs doing.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

stearthousequote1001.jpg

stearthousequote20011.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd vote for a new roof or you'll just keep on chucking money at it.

There are several slipped slates and many that have been repositioned..
it's a mess and your living on borrowed time..

Felt roofs should be replaced while the slate roof is off.

Sponsored Links
Then report back stating how you can't believe how much re-roofing costs! :p Don't forget the listed building application either!

Thanks for all your help! the guy who looked at the roof quoted £8780 +VAT which i didn't think was to bad?

If ever there was an example of a roof that needed stripping and relaying, then yours is it, to be honest the original job looks pretty shoddy with odd sized slates abd slithers cut in all over the place.
As to the cost a bit hard to say without knowing the size, layout or what the conservation officer says about materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back